- Pro-Trump subreddit quarantined over violent threats in support of Oregon Republicans 2 Years Ago
- Woman who live streamed a police officer’s shooting is receiving death threats 2 Years Ago
- Pre-Prime Day deals you don’t want to miss 2 Years Ago
- Dana Loesch out at NRATV; ‘thoughts and prayers’ for her career are in Today 12:33 PM
- Trump’s rant about Megan Rapinoe devolves into treatise about PC culture in the NBA Today 10:41 AM
- Is Millie Bobby Brown joining the MCU? Today 10:39 AM
- Hundreds of thousands demand that Etika’s previously deleted YouTube channel be restored Today 10:18 AM
- Eric Trump says cocktail waitress spit on him in Chicago bar Today 9:47 AM
- Maine governor signs net neutrality bill into law Today 9:07 AM
- How the QAnon movement continues without its messenger Today 8:26 AM
- 6 best Korean beauty products for summer Today 8:17 AM
- ‘The Office’ is leaving Netflix in 2021 Today 7:46 AM
- How to install the iOS 13 beta and test out its best new features Today 7:42 AM
- Swipe This! I want my boyfriend to text me everyday. Is that crazy? Today 7:30 AM
- Why every 2020 Democrat is canceled Today 7:01 AM
Two jeans are allegedly better than one.
You think you’ve seen double denim—the “Canadian tuxedo” of jeans and a denim jacket—but you haven’t really seen double denim until you’ve seen jeans on jeans. Apparently, the new trend for fall is to wear jeans like Steve Bannon wears shirts: in absurd layers. This $700 pair by Natasha Zinko is already sold out, Slate’s Laura Bennett pointed out this week:
— Laura Bennett (@lbennett) September 14, 2017
This is one pair of high-waisted jeans seemingly formed from two pairs of normal jeans. It’s bizarre, and of a piece with contemporary trends like The Weird Sleeve. And lest you think this is the only pair of jeans-on-jeans making the rounds right now, here are some more examples:
— Caro (@socarolinesays) September 14, 2017
omg margiela did a pair like this that were a hybrid of black trousers and jeans- they're one thousand dollars of BIZARRE pic.twitter.com/DZfl2aBM2P
— Yash (@yashwinacanter) September 14, 2017
“What is happening?” women who wear clothes want to know.
what is happening
— Alexandra Adams (@alexandra_adams) September 14, 2017
I am confused and upset
— Katy Waldman (@xwaldie) September 14, 2017
Is this Rihanna’s fault?
this one thing that not even Rihanna can make right. pic.twitter.com/WIQlK5lXI0
— Rachael Sullivan (@rachaelsullivan) September 14, 2017
In a time when nothing seems to make sense, why should pants have any logic to them? Whatever is happening, it’s clear that ubiquitous flannel and pumpkin spice are the least of our problems this fall: it is the season of double double jeans jeans.
Don’t worry. It could always be worse. Those clear-knee mom jeans from Topshop could have caught on.
Actually, it’s a tough call! pic.twitter.com/prjpTj3JiI
— Kristine Garina (@KristineGarina) September 14, 2017
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.