- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
For those who are blissfully ignoring our country being torn apart at its seams, last night brought one of the biggest revelations of Donald Trump‘s presidency—that he allegedly asked former FBI director James Comey to drop his investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn‘s ties to Russia before firing Comey.
The White House adamantly denied this version of events when the story broke.
“While the president has repeatedly expressed his view that General Flynn is a decent man who served and protected our country, the president has never asked Mr. Comey or anyone else to end any investigation, including any investigation involving General Flynn,” the White House said in a statement.
This morning on Twitter, though, Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. appeared to confirm some veracity to the story, retweeting Geraldo Rivera’s statement that Trump did no wrong in his reported conversation with Comey, saying only, “Truth.”
Truth. https://t.co/g63Our339Z— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) May 17, 2017
So…. you’re saying the memo exists. https://t.co/7QJ7TCmC2q— Jane Coaston (@cjane87) May 17, 2017
Donald Trump, Jr. basically just confirmed that the Comey memo is real. Independent sources had already done so, but he just did as well. https://t.co/QsqlEk4KUg— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) May 17, 2017
Further confirmation that Trump pressured Comey to shut down the Flynn probe. The Trump clan is in very bad need of some new lawyers asap. https://t.co/Eq8guVvTMP— Mark Follman (@markfollman) May 17, 2017
how long till Don Jr. claims he was hacked (by Seth Rich, or something) https://t.co/IoE8nrgsuG— alec (@alecjacobs) May 17, 2017
Confirmation of the Comey memo, courtesy of Trump, Jr.— Jamie Gump (@JamieGump) May 17, 2017
When my wife was a criminal defense atty, I would marvel at how her clients wouldn't follow her advice to STFU. https://t.co/R2WnYRMbq5— David Burbach (@dburbach) May 17, 2017
Apparently we’re moving from “It didn’t happen” to “OK, it happened but it was totally cool,” right on schedule. https://t.co/Vwq1myOV3a— Julian Sanchez (@normative) May 17, 2017
Did Jr. just confirm the report? https://t.co/hVnYRf6UOF— T. Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) May 17, 2017
As more than one person noted, President Trump has a tendency to contradict his own staff on Twitter in the morning.
Just this time, it was the son.
I said Trump will confirm the story on Twitter tomorrow morning. I didn't say which Trump... https://t.co/y3mGe6Cg5c— Drew Waxman (@DrewWaxman) May 17, 2017
Update 10:22am CT, May 17: In response to the kerfulle, Trump Jr. denied he was confirming the existence of the Comey memo, saying he was only speaking about “if” it was true.
Give me a break. Me agreeing with someone's interpretation of a theory does nothing of the sort. You're trying way to hard. https://t.co/znVhc5FhWd— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) May 17, 2017
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]