- University of Georgia frat’s racist Snapchat video draws campus outrage 2 Years Ago
- Facing criticism for eating fish, vegan YouTube star Rawvana speaks out Today 10:47 AM
- Arnold Schwarzenegger chases mini-pony in new TikTok video Today 9:19 AM
- Review: ‘Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice’ is a cut above the rest Today 8:00 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on healthcare? Today 7:30 AM
- How to (legally) stream live TV on Kodi Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Delhi Crime’ tackles inequality and women’s rights Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway for free Today 6:00 AM
- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets ‘canceled’ over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
There’s nothing creepier than David Hasselhoff next to his giant wax sculpture
Wax on, wax Hoff.
As Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2. laid bare, all Americans secretly wish Baywatch dude and singer David Hasselhoff was their cool dad. But there may be something even cooler than David Hasselhoff: David Hasselhoff’s enormous wax stunt double from The Spongebob Movie. Just look at this thing!
The custom figure was built by a special effects company called Alterian. Here’s a detailed video showing the whole figure, including its hairy back and muscular butt:
In the movie, Spongebob and his friend Patrick rode the giant Hoff across the ocean to save their home, Bikini Bottom. It was also rolled out on the red carpet for the 2010 Comedy Central roast of Hasselhoff.
Hasselhoff put the figure up for auction in 2014 to raise money for the Starlight Foundation, with a starting bid of $10,000. Its measurements were listed as 167″ by 54″ by 54″ inches, meaning the bust of Hasselhoff is longer than the real Hoff is tall. The entire sculpture is between 12′ and 14′ long, from head to freakishly realistic toes.
Now the figure is returning to the spotlight on the front page of Reddit, and the thread has turned into a celebration of Hasselhoff and his gargantuan wax stand-in. In the comments, people dug up even creepier pictures of Regular Hoff and Giant Hoff:
According to USA Today, Hasselhoff calls the sculpture “Big Dave,” and once used it as his mailbox. He claims that the sculpture’s realistic back hair was from a time “before his girlfriend enforced manscaping.”
It’s not clear where Big Dave is residing now, other than in the hearts of thousands of fans who upvoted it on Reddit. David Hasselhoff truly is an international treasure.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.