- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free 2 Years Ago
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
There’s nothing creepier than David Hasselhoff next to his giant wax sculpture
Wax on, wax Hoff.
As Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2. laid bare, all Americans secretly wish Baywatch dude and singer David Hasselhoff was their cool dad. But there may be something even cooler than David Hasselhoff: David Hasselhoff’s enormous wax stunt double from The Spongebob Movie. Just look at this thing!
The custom figure was built by a special effects company called Alterian. Here’s a detailed video showing the whole figure, including its hairy back and muscular butt:
In the movie, Spongebob and his friend Patrick rode the giant Hoff across the ocean to save their home, Bikini Bottom. It was also rolled out on the red carpet for the 2010 Comedy Central roast of Hasselhoff.
Hasselhoff put the figure up for auction in 2014 to raise money for the Starlight Foundation, with a starting bid of $10,000. Its measurements were listed as 167″ by 54″ by 54″ inches, meaning the bust of Hasselhoff is longer than the real Hoff is tall. The entire sculpture is between 12′ and 14′ long, from head to freakishly realistic toes.
Now the figure is returning to the spotlight on the front page of Reddit, and the thread has turned into a celebration of Hasselhoff and his gargantuan wax stand-in. In the comments, people dug up even creepier pictures of Regular Hoff and Giant Hoff:
According to USA Today, Hasselhoff calls the sculpture “Big Dave,” and once used it as his mailbox. He claims that the sculpture’s realistic back hair was from a time “before his girlfriend enforced manscaping.”
It’s not clear where Big Dave is residing now, other than in the hearts of thousands of fans who upvoted it on Reddit. David Hasselhoff truly is an international treasure.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.