- YouTuber allegedly filmed himself abusing and killing his cat Sunday 5:49 PM
- Would you buy a Popeyes chicken sandwich from Quavo for $1,000? Sunday 3:05 PM
- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo Sunday 2:15 PM
- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back Sunday 1:24 PM
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Sunday 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Sunday 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Sunday 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Sunday 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
A meme has been going around Twitter telling everyone exactly what they should do before hitting the ripe age of 30. The meme started after 29-year-old Representative-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) was criticized for having $7,000 in her bank account. CNBC found one expert who said Ocasio-Cortez should have anywhere between $8,750 and $30,000, based on what one should have saved by age 30.
This sparked people on Twitter to troll these experts with what you should actually have by age 30 and the memes do not disappoint.
Some people actually gave sound advice.
By age 30 you should have:— franny choi (@fannychoir) November 26, 2018
- Honest conversations with your partner(s) about boundaries and consent
- Language to explain your political beliefs to genuinely curious acquaintances
- The ability to hold a straight face during a bullshit meeting
- HIGH QUALITY BACKPACK
But most people just had jokes.
By age 30 you should have:— Meredith Ireland (@MeredithIreland) November 27, 2018
▪️at least one journal that’s otherwise blank except for ‘this is where I turn it all around!’
▪️an unshakable opinion of at least 1 vegetable
▪️taken your true form of ice & snow if you’re of the North or heat & Popeyes if you’re of the South
by age 30 you should:— meet me in the $BIN (@mountain_ghosts) November 27, 2018
By age 30 you should have:— Kate Brauning (@KateBrauning) November 23, 2018
$3 in savings
$5,000 in credit card debt
A favorite spoon
One half-dead plant you feel really bad about because your mom keeps asking for grandkids but you’re not ready and you thought this basil plant would be a good place to start
And others just shared song lyrics.
By age 30 you should be— s.morgan [they/them] (@bookvvitch) November 23, 2018
-swift as the coursing river
-with all of the force of a great typhoon
-with all the strength of a raging fire
-mysterious as the dark side of the moon
By the age of 30 you should have:— Jess Noé (@therealjessnoe) November 25, 2018
-took your love
-took it down
-climbed a mountain
-seen your reflection in the snow-covered hills
By age 30 you should be— The Nativity of the friend's baby in Spice World (@kolsvein) November 25, 2018
-Nothing in between
One person really outdid themselves by explaining the plot of 13 Going on 30.
by age 30 you should:— marisa w one 's' (@marginalmarisa) November 24, 2018
-work for a high end fashion magazine in New York
-reconnect with your middle school best friend
-right the wrongs from the past decade of your life
-actually be a 13 year old girl trapped in a 30 year old’s body
If you’ve already missed the boat on doing these things by age 30, maybe look to the “by age 35” meme.
Gabrielle Sorto is an Atlanta-based freelance writer covering culture, lifestyle, and news. Her work has appeared in CNN, Teen Vogue, INSIDER, and Vice. She can usually be found writing with an overpriced coffee in hand or hanging out with her dog, Rihanna, who is named after exactly who you think.