- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Today 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Today 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Today 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Today 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Today 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Today 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
All hail Bongo Cat, the latest meme from the depths of Twitter. It’s all in the name, really. Bongo Cat started life as a gif of a cat (made by Twitter user @StrayRogue) slapping his little paws down on a table, as if to play the bongos, which is exactly what Twitter user @DitzyFlam did.
The internet wasted absolutely no time in applying Bongo Cat to more and more ridiculous parodies. There’s an assortment of classic rock songs to enjoy, complete with visual effects.
bongo cat plays toto africa pic.twitter.com/GZNDOTtBmg— Mishy (@mishy_the_sheep) September 13, 2018
bongo my cat all day pic.twitter.com/MWIhKjVUnW— davemakes ➡️ BitSummit (@davemakes) September 14, 2018
There’s also a parody of “We Are Number One” from the kids show LazyTown.
Of course, a meme wouldn’t be complete without plenty of video game music parodies, and Bongo Cat has plenty to choose from. Here’s some of the best.
gotta catch ‘em all pic.twitter.com/6kJQoiA3ru— Aidan (@Kooleyy__) September 14, 2018
There are some solid tracks from the Legend of Zelda games.
As well as the Nintendo Wii theme.
There’s also a song from the weird anime JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures.
And then, of course, there’s the really weird, meme-within-a-meme material. First up on the block is this parody of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Here’s Bongo Cat struggling to reach his own bongos.
And here’s Bongo Cat getting whipped.
Every school kid’s worst nightmare.
And perhaps my personal favorite, Bongo Cat meets Screaming Cowboy.
Correction: Stanley Kubrick was the director of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.