- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
All hail Bongo Cat, the latest meme from the depths of Twitter. It’s all in the name, really. Bongo Cat started life as a gif of a cat (made by Twitter user @StrayRogue) slapping his little paws down on a table, as if to play the bongos, which is exactly what Twitter user @DitzyFlam did.
The internet wasted absolutely no time in applying Bongo Cat to more and more ridiculous parodies. There’s an assortment of classic rock songs to enjoy, complete with visual effects.
bongo cat plays toto africa pic.twitter.com/GZNDOTtBmg— Mishy (@mishy_the_sheep) September 13, 2018
bongo my cat all day pic.twitter.com/MWIhKjVUnW— davemakes ➡️ BitSummit (@davemakes) September 14, 2018
There’s also a parody of “We Are Number One” from the kids show LazyTown.
Of course, a meme wouldn’t be complete without plenty of video game music parodies, and Bongo Cat has plenty to choose from. Here’s some of the best.
gotta catch ‘em all pic.twitter.com/6kJQoiA3ru— Aidan (@Kooleyy__) September 14, 2018
There are some solid tracks from the Legend of Zelda games.
As well as the Nintendo Wii theme.
There’s also a song from the weird anime JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures.
And then, of course, there’s the really weird, meme-within-a-meme material. First up on the block is this parody of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Here’s Bongo Cat struggling to reach his own bongos.
And here’s Bongo Cat getting whipped.
Every school kid’s worst nightmare.
And perhaps my personal favorite, Bongo Cat meets Screaming Cowboy.
Correction: Stanley Kubrick was the director of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.