- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
All hail Bongo Cat.
All hail Bongo Cat, the latest meme from the depths of Twitter. It’s all in the name, really. Bongo Cat started life as a gif of a cat (made by Twitter user @StrayRogue) slapping his little paws down on a table, as if to play the bongos, which is exactly what Twitter user @DitzyFlam did.
The internet wasted absolutely no time in applying Bongo Cat to more and more ridiculous parodies. There’s an assortment of classic rock songs to enjoy, complete with visual effects.
bongo cat plays toto africa pic.twitter.com/GZNDOTtBmg— Mishy (@mishy_the_sheep) September 13, 2018
bongo my cat all day pic.twitter.com/MWIhKjVUnW— davemakes ➡️ BitSummit (@davemakes) September 14, 2018
There’s also a parody of “We Are Number One” from the kids show LazyTown.
Of course, a meme wouldn’t be complete without plenty of video game music parodies, and Bongo Cat has plenty to choose from. Here’s some of the best.
gotta catch ‘em all pic.twitter.com/6kJQoiA3ru— Aidan (@Kooleyy__) September 14, 2018
There are some solid tracks from the Legend of Zelda games.
As well as the Nintendo Wii theme.
There’s also a song from the weird anime JoJo’s Bizarre Adventures.
And then, of course, there’s the really weird, meme-within-a-meme material. First up on the block is this parody of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Here’s Bongo Cat struggling to reach his own bongos.
And here’s Bongo Cat getting whipped.
Every school kid’s worst nightmare.
And perhaps my personal favorite, Bongo Cat meets Screaming Cowboy.
Correction: Stanley Kubrick was the director of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.