- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
The litany of abuse that black people face daily is almost without end, but you know a racist is really mad when they tell someone—whether personally or in a broad, sweeping imperative—to “go back to Africa.” It’s among the more pathetically ignorant defaults in the Caucasian canon.
But in this expression of reflexive hate, saw an opportunity. The Kokomo, Indiana chef, who is black, has mounted a GoFundMe campaign to raise the $100,000 he needs to “return” to a continent he’s not actually from, thereby appeasing white supremacists everywhere.
Here’s Mitchell’s pitch:
Send me “back” to Africa fund… If you want me to go back to Africa I will gladly go… you can help make your dream and mine come true… accepting all donations… KKK, Skin Heads and anyone else with like mind thinking are welcome to donate… Thank you.. God bless you and America… #putyourmoneywhereyourhateis
I know what you’re thinking—and yes, there’s a T-shirt:
So far, Mitchell’s vacation crowdfunder has proved a surprising success. He’s closing in on 100 donations, with more than $1,000 collected so far.
It’s hard to tell if the contributions from people like “fedupwhiteguy,” who commented, “You better not come back,” or John Shoffner, who claims to “truly support” the cause, are genuinely motivated by racial animosity. But either way, it looks as if Mitchell will have enough for a great trip.
And at least one donor wants to tag along.
This is going a lot better than the Kickstarter I launched to pay for my whiskey tour of Ireland. Wonder what I was doing wrong?
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'