- IRL Barbie Malibu Dreamhouse available to rent on Airbnb 3 Years Ago
- Men’s Humor trolled for unknowingly tweeting Grindr conversation 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Dominick Reyes vs. Chris Weidman Today 5:00 PM
- Jennifer Aniston had a finsta before officially joining Instagram Today 4:35 PM
- Facebook denies moderating comments under Zuckerberg’s big free speech live stream Today 2:38 PM
- ‘My headphones’ meme proves our music is sadder than we look Today 1:53 PM
- ‘Time for an upgrade’ meme shows Kamala Harris’ team is too online Today 1:35 PM
- Prison guards reportedly mocked trans inmates in private Facebook groups Today 1:33 PM
- Gradient is the new celebrity look-alike app winning over influencers Today 12:46 PM
- Trolls accuse cosplayer of ‘appropriating’ Joker culture Today 12:28 PM
- Every Studio Ghibli movie will stream exclusively on HBO Max Today 12:24 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 saw its highest viewer numbers yet Today 12:01 PM
- ‘We vape, we vote’ movement insists it’s real in wake of bot reports Today 12:01 PM
- Netflix will finally start cracking down on password sharing Today 11:48 AM
- PSAT memes are back! This year on TikTok and amid College Board crackdown Today 11:20 AM
Yep, Battlefield 1 is apparently teeming with Nazis, thanks to the game’s emblem-maker feature. Any edgy, trollish bro—or any actual neo-Nazi or white supremacist—can slap a swastika onto his soldier.
They may think they’re being provocative, but the end result is that even redditors are making fun of them. “For fuck sakes, WRONG WAR!” writes blueshyguy8000, who posted a collection of Battlefield 1 Nazis on reddit.
“Sieg fail,” adds a commenter.
“I think they’re fucking with you and being edgetards,” writes another.
Is it possible that these would-be provocateurs love to invoke Nazi Germany but don’t actually know history? Sure. People are dumb.
“You’d be surprised how often people talk about fighting for Hitler in the Chat,” writes one player on Reddit.
There may be a more plausible, but still embarrassing, explanation, though. It seems that custom emblems players made in Battlefield 4 also carried over to Battlefield 1, so the trolls started the new game with their swastikas all ready to go.
It’s not like there were Nazis in Battlefield 4‘s “War of 2020,” either, but at least that was a fictional conflict, which makes the fake Nazis seem marginally less stupid.
After all these years, Godwin’s Law and its variations still hold true.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.