- Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is finally coming to Spotify, Apple Music Wednesday 8:48 PM
- Ubisoft is offering Assassin’s Creed Unity for free to support Notre Dame Wednesday 8:25 PM
- Are teens really eating foods with the ‘shells on’ for a new viral challenge? Wednesday 6:39 PM
- The new Samsung Galaxy Fold already seems to be falling apart Wednesday 4:17 PM
- Think the ‘Game of Thrones’ spirals are all connected? Think again Wednesday 3:13 PM
- Rudy Giuliani retweets prominent QAnon supporter Wednesday 2:03 PM
- India bans TikTok over concerns of child endangerment Wednesday 2:00 PM
- JJ Abrams says there’s more to Rey’s origin story Wednesday 1:16 PM
- Lisa Ann says Equinox trainer looked up her number and sent her a creepy text Wednesday 1:01 PM
- 8 essentials every grad needs to succeed as an adult Wednesday 1:00 PM
- Makeup artist shows you how to become Kylie Jenner’s baby Wednesday 12:54 PM
- People are more concerned with this woman’s age than her being a school shooting threat Wednesday 12:14 PM
- Why are conservatives so obsessed with cargo shorts? Wednesday 11:46 AM
- How to transfer your Nintendo Switch save data Wednesday 11:45 AM
- Trans military ban causes student to lose ROTC scholarship Wednesday 11:04 AM
People are playing Nazis in ‘Battlefield 1,’ a game about World War I
Wrong war, geniuses.
Yep, Battlefield 1 is apparently teeming with Nazis, thanks to the game’s emblem-maker feature. Any edgy, trollish bro—or any actual neo-Nazi or white supremacist—can slap a swastika onto his soldier.
They may think they’re being provocative, but the end result is that even redditors are making fun of them. “For fuck sakes, WRONG WAR!” writes blueshyguy8000, who posted a collection of Battlefield 1 Nazis on reddit.
“Sieg fail,” adds a commenter.
“I think they’re fucking with you and being edgetards,” writes another.
Is it possible that these would-be provocateurs love to invoke Nazi Germany but don’t actually know history? Sure. People are dumb.
“You’d be surprised how often people talk about fighting for Hitler in the Chat,” writes one player on Reddit.
There may be a more plausible, but still embarrassing, explanation, though. It seems that custom emblems players made in Battlefield 4 also carried over to Battlefield 1, so the trolls started the new game with their swastikas all ready to go.
It’s not like there were Nazis in Battlefield 4‘s “War of 2020,” either, but at least that was a fictional conflict, which makes the fake Nazis seem marginally less stupid.
After all these years, Godwin’s Law and its variations still hold true.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.