- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy 3 Years Ago
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation 3 Years Ago
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings 3 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online 3 Years Ago
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes 3 Years Ago
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen 3 Years Ago
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Today 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
- Danny McBride’s ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ is a wicked televangelist comedy Today 12:46 PM
- Facebook-branded coffee shops are coming Today 12:36 PM
- Twitter hosts China-backed ads maligning Hong Kong protesters Today 12:27 PM
- Jason Momoa says the ‘Justice League’ Snyder cut is ‘ssssiiicccckkkkkk’ Today 12:06 PM
- Kevin Smith announces a He-Man reboot for Netflix Today 11:51 AM
- Kellyanne Conway brushes off recession fears, calls it ‘Sesame Street word of the day’ Today 11:05 AM
Yep, Battlefield 1 is apparently teeming with Nazis, thanks to the game’s emblem-maker feature. Any edgy, trollish bro—or any actual neo-Nazi or white supremacist—can slap a swastika onto his soldier.
They may think they’re being provocative, but the end result is that even redditors are making fun of them. “For fuck sakes, WRONG WAR!” writes blueshyguy8000, who posted a collection of Battlefield 1 Nazis on reddit.
“Sieg fail,” adds a commenter.
“I think they’re fucking with you and being edgetards,” writes another.
Is it possible that these would-be provocateurs love to invoke Nazi Germany but don’t actually know history? Sure. People are dumb.
“You’d be surprised how often people talk about fighting for Hitler in the Chat,” writes one player on Reddit.
There may be a more plausible, but still embarrassing, explanation, though. It seems that custom emblems players made in Battlefield 4 also carried over to Battlefield 1, so the trolls started the new game with their swastikas all ready to go.
It’s not like there were Nazis in Battlefield 4‘s “War of 2020,” either, but at least that was a fictional conflict, which makes the fake Nazis seem marginally less stupid.
After all these years, Godwin’s Law and its variations still hold true.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.