- ‘Shrill’ season 2 expands its world and point of view 4 Years Ago
- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable Today 6:00 AM
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
One might say that the problem with children is that they don’t understand the value of the avocado. It is the best part of any sandwich, costs an extra $1.50 in a salad, and creates the world’s most perfect dip—guacamole.
But this summer, one little boy gave a whole new meaning to avocado appreciation.
A Vine that shows a boy unwrapping an avocado and saying “An avocado. Thaaaanks!” went massively viral. The sweet little video seemed to perfectly capture a moment we’ve all experienced at some point: having to pretend you love a weird gift you just unwrapped in front of your whole family.
But unlike many viral moments on the Internet, this one wasn’t instantly forgotten. It seems people decided to put their loved ones to the test this holiday season by gifting an avocado. Would the recipient think it was a weird joke—or the greatest meme-related gift they ever received?
These people got it:
I decided I’m buying everyone an avocado for Christmas and if they say “an avocado..thanks” then they will get their real present
— Curt Kiolbassa (@curtkiolb01) December 15, 2015
Some people were genuinely bummed that they didn’t receive the gift of ‘cado.
Unfortunately no one gave me an avocado so I didn’t get the chance the thank anyone in the way I’ve been rehearsing 😔
— edie (@edenwestlake) December 25, 2015
High key pissed I didn’t get an avocado
— Drake Roebuck (@D_Roebuck5) December 25, 2015
Wish I got an avocado for christmas like that kid
— sammie! (@kawaiiqueensam) December 25, 2015
I didn’t get an avocado😪😢
— millie (@Igbtconnor) December 25, 2015
And others just didn’t understand the moving gesture.
My sister got me an avocado for Christmas…
— Rachel Simmons (@Rachel_Leigh5) December 25, 2015
Cassidy was so unappreciative of her avocado.. Rudee
— Dylan Morrison (@DylanMorrison10) December 25, 2015
We’ll allow an actual avocado to have the final word on this Christmas Day.
you are loved so much even by people you will never know TAKE STRENGTH FROM THAT humans
— Avocado (@RealAvocadoFact) December 24, 2015
Photo via threelayercake/Flickr
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.