- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
- Researchers expose how Amazon Echo and Google Home can steal passwords Tuesday 2:47 PM
- Facebook removing Instagram Story filters that mimic plastic surgery Tuesday 2:16 PM
- Mom solves ‘ghost baby’ image mystery after viral post Tuesday 1:23 PM
One might say that the problem with children is that they don’t understand the value of the avocado. It is the best part of any sandwich, costs an extra $1.50 in a salad, and creates the world’s most perfect dip—guacamole.
But this summer, one little boy gave a whole new meaning to avocado appreciation.
A Vine that shows a boy unwrapping an avocado and saying “An avocado. Thaaaanks!” went massively viral. The sweet little video seemed to perfectly capture a moment we’ve all experienced at some point: having to pretend you love a weird gift you just unwrapped in front of your whole family.
But unlike many viral moments on the Internet, this one wasn’t instantly forgotten. It seems people decided to put their loved ones to the test this holiday season by gifting an avocado. Would the recipient think it was a weird joke—or the greatest meme-related gift they ever received?
These people got it:
I decided I’m buying everyone an avocado for Christmas and if they say “an avocado..thanks” then they will get their real present
— Curt Kiolbassa (@curtkiolb01) December 15, 2015
Some people were genuinely bummed that they didn’t receive the gift of ‘cado.
Unfortunately no one gave me an avocado so I didn’t get the chance the thank anyone in the way I’ve been rehearsing 😔
— edie (@edenwestlake) December 25, 2015
High key pissed I didn’t get an avocado
— Drake Roebuck (@D_Roebuck5) December 25, 2015
Wish I got an avocado for christmas like that kid
— sammie! (@kawaiiqueensam) December 25, 2015
I didn’t get an avocado😪😢
— millie (@Igbtconnor) December 25, 2015
And others just didn’t understand the moving gesture.
My sister got me an avocado for Christmas…
— Rachel Simmons (@Rachel_Leigh5) December 25, 2015
Cassidy was so unappreciative of her avocado.. Rudee
— Dylan Morrison (@DylanMorrison10) December 25, 2015
We’ll allow an actual avocado to have the final word on this Christmas Day.
you are loved so much even by people you will never know TAKE STRENGTH FROM THAT humans
— Avocado (@RealAvocadoFact) December 24, 2015
Photo via threelayercake/Flickr
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.