- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension 4 Years Ago
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
It’s an avocado! Thaaaaanks.
One might say that the problem with children is that they don’t understand the value of the avocado. It is the best part of any sandwich, costs an extra $1.50 in a salad, and creates the world’s most perfect dip—guacamole.
But this summer, one little boy gave a whole new meaning to avocado appreciation.
A Vine that shows a boy unwrapping an avocado and saying “An avocado. Thaaaanks!” went massively viral. The sweet little video seemed to perfectly capture a moment we’ve all experienced at some point: having to pretend you love a weird gift you just unwrapped in front of your whole family.
But unlike many viral moments on the Internet, this one wasn’t instantly forgotten. It seems people decided to put their loved ones to the test this holiday season by gifting an avocado. Would the recipient think it was a weird joke—or the greatest meme-related gift they ever received?
These people got it:
I decided I’m buying everyone an avocado for Christmas and if they say “an avocado..thanks” then they will get their real present
— Curt Kiolbassa (@curtkiolb01) December 15, 2015
Some people were genuinely bummed that they didn’t receive the gift of ‘cado.
Unfortunately no one gave me an avocado so I didn’t get the chance the thank anyone in the way I’ve been rehearsing 😔
— edie (@edenwestlake) December 25, 2015
High key pissed I didn’t get an avocado
— Drake Roebuck (@D_Roebuck5) December 25, 2015
Wish I got an avocado for christmas like that kid
— sammie! (@kawaiiqueensam) December 25, 2015
I didn’t get an avocado😪😢
— millie (@Igbtconnor) December 25, 2015
And others just didn’t understand the moving gesture.
My sister got me an avocado for Christmas…
— Rachel Simmons (@Rachel_Leigh5) December 25, 2015
Cassidy was so unappreciative of her avocado.. Rudee
— Dylan Morrison (@DylanMorrison10) December 25, 2015
We’ll allow an actual avocado to have the final word on this Christmas Day.
you are loved so much even by people you will never know TAKE STRENGTH FROM THAT humans
— Avocado (@RealAvocadoFact) December 24, 2015
Photo via threelayercake/Flickr
Marisa Kabas is a lifestyle reporter and activist. Her work has been published by Fusion, Fast Company, and Today. She’s also served as an editorial campaigns director for Purpose PBC, a social movement incubator.