- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise 2 Years Ago
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Today 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Today 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Today 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Today 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
It’s Saturday, so you have time to do the things you love: linger at a coffee shop, devour a magazine, or dress up in Daft Punk cosplay and ancient Roman legionnaire armor to fight the rise of socialism in Texas.
Hey. You do you.
Evan Mintz, of the Houston Chronicle, is at an anti-Antifa (how meta) protest at Hermann Park, in Houston, and let’s just say it is a cast of characters. The protest is aimed at supposed Antifa members who, after the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue in New Orleans, are emboldened and want to take down a Sam Houston statue. Not only are the members of This is Texas armed, they are interesting.
At Hermann Park and there's enough guns here to lead a mild insurrection. pic.twitter.com/fBtCbJfZhK— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"They want to take the statue"— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"... liberals" pic.twitter.com/QvkkrQM4kT
Nothing says anti-antifa like armbands and guns in a public park pic.twitter.com/aRIyrf8n6m— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"The time for reasoning and negotiating with these people have passed" pic.twitter.com/k79uM9reSJ— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
Though those people are interesting enough on their own, the brunt of the scorn online is being directed at this dude, who wore Roman armor because the Antifa has knives.
He's worried that antifa will use knives so he got roman armor. Asked if I knew what Pepe was. pic.twitter.com/KNQMS7eiSJ— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
The trolling is coming hard and fast.
Who cos-plays as a racist coward? https://t.co/GTz1OsoMso— Dan Lavoie (@djlavoie) June 10, 2017
Fuck lads they're bulletproof now https://t.co/5pQ4DEfSSR— DPRK isn't Socialist (@iamLoafman) June 10, 2017
the far right is building a fearsome militia of everyone you wouldn't pass to in gym class https://t.co/QE8D44tJvt— Kelly Weill (@KELLYWEILL) June 10, 2017
looks like we'll have to switch to pilum and blunt weapons https://t.co/OSLqNqO3M8— βôġ℣℣ɨťḉħ (@cruelstorydrow) June 10, 2017
Peep the patch on his arm https://t.co/PTspbm5D3D— David (@daviddashcoby) June 10, 2017
This thread is unreal. The alt right is run by a bunch of guys in suits. Their army: the kid that sat in the back of class & ate his binder. https://t.co/83HtRRscUr— (((Andrea Milne))) (@MyPenHistorical) June 10, 2017
The gag is that this dude probably considers himself an "alpha"— Calvin (@calvinstowell) June 10, 2017
No amount of armor could possibly protect them from all the laughter https://t.co/1ZW3JTBURF— Harley (@RiseUpHarleyQ) June 10, 2017
This is so delightfully stupid and I am laughing, laughing as the world burns down around us all because everyone's gone mad https://t.co/MIN62u42rL— Laura Lorson (@prairielaura) June 10, 2017
Like, can you imagine living life as this dude? https://t.co/oxFdHEhxaZ— Leif Reigstad (@LeifReigstad) June 10, 2017
A Mao suit with armour, Kim Jung Un hair and Nazi-inspired logo. There is A LOT going on here... https://t.co/eYUltgoqWt— Stephanie Carvin (@StephanieCarvin) June 10, 2017
As for whether that armor will save him, well…
FYI there are no antifa. Or BLM. Or anyone besides suburbanites with guns and internet weirdos— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
He’ll do fine against cats.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]