- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum 3 Years Ago
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? 3 Years Ago
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Today 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Today 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Today 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Today 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Today 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Today 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Today 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Today 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Today 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Today 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
- Why Britons are tweeting ‘Little England’ in wake of the U.K. election Friday 3:22 PM
It’s Saturday, so you have time to do the things you love: linger at a coffee shop, devour a magazine, or dress up in Daft Punk cosplay and ancient Roman legionnaire armor to fight the rise of socialism in Texas.
Hey. You do you.
Evan Mintz, of the Houston Chronicle, is at an anti-Antifa (how meta) protest at Hermann Park, in Houston, and let’s just say it is a cast of characters. The protest is aimed at supposed Antifa members who, after the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue in New Orleans, are emboldened and want to take down a Sam Houston statue. Not only are the members of This is Texas armed, they are interesting.
At Hermann Park and there's enough guns here to lead a mild insurrection. pic.twitter.com/fBtCbJfZhK— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"They want to take the statue"— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"... liberals" pic.twitter.com/QvkkrQM4kT
Nothing says anti-antifa like armbands and guns in a public park pic.twitter.com/aRIyrf8n6m— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
"The time for reasoning and negotiating with these people have passed" pic.twitter.com/k79uM9reSJ— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
Though those people are interesting enough on their own, the brunt of the scorn online is being directed at this dude, who wore Roman armor because the Antifa has knives.
He's worried that antifa will use knives so he got roman armor. Asked if I knew what Pepe was. pic.twitter.com/KNQMS7eiSJ— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
The trolling is coming hard and fast.
Who cos-plays as a racist coward? https://t.co/GTz1OsoMso— Dan Lavoie (@djlavoie) June 10, 2017
Fuck lads they're bulletproof now https://t.co/5pQ4DEfSSR— DPRK isn't Socialist (@iamLoafman) June 10, 2017
the far right is building a fearsome militia of everyone you wouldn't pass to in gym class https://t.co/QE8D44tJvt— Kelly Weill (@KELLYWEILL) June 10, 2017
looks like we'll have to switch to pilum and blunt weapons https://t.co/OSLqNqO3M8— βôġ℣℣ɨťḉħ (@cruelstorydrow) June 10, 2017
Peep the patch on his arm https://t.co/PTspbm5D3D— David (@daviddashcoby) June 10, 2017
This thread is unreal. The alt right is run by a bunch of guys in suits. Their army: the kid that sat in the back of class & ate his binder. https://t.co/83HtRRscUr— (((Andrea Milne))) (@MyPenHistorical) June 10, 2017
The gag is that this dude probably considers himself an "alpha"— Calvin (@calvinstowell) June 10, 2017
No amount of armor could possibly protect them from all the laughter https://t.co/1ZW3JTBURF— Harley (@RiseUpHarleyQ) June 10, 2017
This is so delightfully stupid and I am laughing, laughing as the world burns down around us all because everyone's gone mad https://t.co/MIN62u42rL— Laura Lorson (@prairielaura) June 10, 2017
Like, can you imagine living life as this dude? https://t.co/oxFdHEhxaZ— Leif Reigstad (@LeifReigstad) June 10, 2017
A Mao suit with armour, Kim Jung Un hair and Nazi-inspired logo. There is A LOT going on here... https://t.co/eYUltgoqWt— Stephanie Carvin (@StephanieCarvin) June 10, 2017
As for whether that armor will save him, well…
FYI there are no antifa. Or BLM. Or anyone besides suburbanites with guns and internet weirdos— Evan (@evan7257) June 10, 2017
He’ll do fine against cats.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]