- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
The internet is lit.
Today is April 20, also known as 4/20, the day that everyone smokes a lot of weed. Even if you don’t celebrate the unofficial cannabis holiday, you probably have heard the number 420 before.
The origins of 420 are a little hazy, but it began as the time (4:20pm) that a group of California teens met up to get high and search for a marijuana garden in 1971. The teens also referred to themselves as “Waldos” and even made a 420 flag. Eventually, the number made its way into pop culture and became a part of internet slang, and 420 is now code for weed (or marijuana, or pot, or whatever name you prefer). Today, people celebrate 420 on 4/20 by lighting up.
On Twitter, you could definitely tell who was down with 4/20 and who was not. Celebrities, brands, and even public transit systems referenced the holiday.
Notable stoner Snoop Dogg tweeted on Thursday night: “Don’t forget to leave milk and cookies out 4 me tonight!”
Don’t forget to leave milk and cookies out 4 me tonite! #420eve
— Snoop Dogg (@SnoopDogg) April 20, 2018
On Friday, many others recognized the holiday with some great tweets. Louis Tomlinson of One Direction declared that it was “sick weather” for 420.
420 ! Sick weather for it . Enjoy !!!!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) April 20, 2018
Denny’s recognized its legacy as a place for people to eat some diner food after getting really high.
“While it’s trendy to implement new 420 menus, denny’s has stayed ahead of the game by simply having…our menu,” the company wrote in a clever tweet.
while it’s trendy to implement new 420 menus, denny’s has stayed ahead of the game by simply having…our menu
— Denny's (@DennysDiner) April 20, 2018
Brands love this holiday.
shoutout to all the weed grandmas out there pic.twitter.com/dC9PEawoBV
— Netflix US (@netflix) April 20, 2018
See a neighbor.
Share a smile.
Hug it out.
Happy 420. pic.twitter.com/Ikwa5bPIoK
— Saturday Night Live – SNL (@nbcsnl) April 20, 2018
So do public transit systems—as long as you don’t hotbox the trains.
Take BART instead but please, please, please don’t hot box our cars. Smoking is not allowed. Not even on #420 https://t.co/B0IqyiIC0w
— SFBART (@SFBART) April 20, 2018
Here are some other good 4/20 tweets:
me, an intellectual: 1/5
— 👁️ (@aiigod) April 20, 2018
paris hilton smoking weed pic.twitter.com/lzwUNs0k64
— adam (@brokeangeI) April 20, 2018
420 69 mood board pic.twitter.com/hXK8uCvyHe
— lil sigourney weaver achiever (@internetlauren) April 20, 2018
Some helpfully distributed health tips, while others reminded people that Black people are arrested at a significantly higher rate than whites for marijuana possession.
in honor of 4/20, here is what i learned in EMT training for responding to 911 calls wherein someone is Too High, Maybe Dying??
– arrive calmly and kindly
– sit and chat with them, assure them they are alive
– again, remind they aren't dying, they forgot already
– offer oxygen
— Molly Priddy (@mollypriddy) April 20, 2018
4/20 should be renamed ‘get these black people outa jail for weed distribution/possession day’..
— Sharon Needles (@SHARON_NEEDLES) April 20, 2018
And remember: If you don’t smoke weed, you can still wish everyone a Happy 4/20, like Ice-T:
I don’t smoke weed but Happy 420! I’m not a hater.
— ICE T (@FINALLEVEL) April 20, 2018
Since weed is now legal in several states, the number of people who celebrate 4/20 is probably increasing, so you likely know at least one person getting high today. Happy blazing!
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.