- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen 1 Year Ago
- How a deepfake gets made Today 8:25 AM
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online Today 8:21 AM
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
The internet is lit.
Today is April 20, also known as 4/20, the day that everyone smokes a lot of weed. Even if you don’t celebrate the unofficial cannabis holiday, you probably have heard the number 420 before.
The origins of 420 are a little hazy, but it began as the time (4:20pm) that a group of California teens met up to get high and search for a marijuana garden in 1971. The teens also referred to themselves as “Waldos” and even made a 420 flag. Eventually, the number made its way into pop culture and became a part of internet slang, and 420 is now code for weed (or marijuana, or pot, or whatever name you prefer). Today, people celebrate 420 on 4/20 by lighting up.
On Twitter, you could definitely tell who was down with 4/20 and who was not. Celebrities, brands, and even public transit systems referenced the holiday.
Notable stoner Snoop Dogg tweeted on Thursday night: “Don’t forget to leave milk and cookies out 4 me tonight!”
Don’t forget to leave milk and cookies out 4 me tonite! #420eve— Snoop Dogg (@SnoopDogg) April 20, 2018
On Friday, many others recognized the holiday with some great tweets. Louis Tomlinson of One Direction declared that it was “sick weather” for 420.
420 ! Sick weather for it . Enjoy !!!!— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) April 20, 2018
Denny’s recognized its legacy as a place for people to eat some diner food after getting really high.
“While it’s trendy to implement new 420 menus, denny’s has stayed ahead of the game by simply having…our menu,” the company wrote in a clever tweet.
while it’s trendy to implement new 420 menus, denny’s has stayed ahead of the game by simply having…our menu— Denny's (@DennysDiner) April 20, 2018
Brands love this holiday.
shoutout to all the weed grandmas out there pic.twitter.com/dC9PEawoBV— Netflix US (@netflix) April 20, 2018
See a neighbor.— Saturday Night Live - SNL (@nbcsnl) April 20, 2018
Share a smile.
Hug it out.
Happy 420. pic.twitter.com/Ikwa5bPIoK
So do public transit systems—as long as you don’t hotbox the trains.
Take BART instead but please, please, please don’t hot box our cars. Smoking is not allowed. Not even on #420 https://t.co/B0IqyiIC0w— SFBART (@SFBART) April 20, 2018
Here are some other good 4/20 tweets:
paris hilton smoking weed pic.twitter.com/lzwUNs0k64— adam (@brokeangeI) April 20, 2018
420 69 mood board pic.twitter.com/hXK8uCvyHe— lil sigourney weaver achiever (@internetlauren) April 20, 2018
Some helpfully distributed health tips, while others reminded people that Black people are arrested at a significantly higher rate than whites for marijuana possession.
in honor of 4/20, here is what i learned in EMT training for responding to 911 calls wherein someone is Too High, Maybe Dying??— Molly Priddy (@mollypriddy) April 20, 2018
- arrive calmly and kindly
- sit and chat with them, assure them they are alive
- again, remind they aren't dying, they forgot already
- offer oxygen
4/20 should be renamed ‘get these black people outa jail for weed distribution/possession day’..— Sharon Needles (@SHARON_NEEDLES) April 20, 2018
And remember: If you don’t smoke weed, you can still wish everyone a Happy 4/20, like Ice-T:
I don’t smoke weed but Happy 420! I’m not a hater.— ICE T (@FINALLEVEL) April 20, 2018
Since weed is now legal in several states, the number of people who celebrate 4/20 is probably increasing, so you likely know at least one person getting high today. Happy blazing!
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.