- Here’s how many YouTube subscribers Shane Dawson lost for his old bestiality joke 2 Years Ago
- Drag queen spreads joy to toddler, world with ‘Baby Shark’ performance 2 Years Ago
- How many ‘chuggas’ should come before choo choo? 2 Years Ago
- Cory Booker’s weirdly sensual relationship with coffee resurfaces Today 8:31 AM
- Everything you need to know about gaming chat client Discord Today 8:00 AM
- Report: Your Facebook feed is still ripe with fake news Today 7:42 AM
- The 10 best movies based on true stories on Hulu Today 7:00 AM
- Prager University is fighting ‘leftist indoctrination’ on college campuses Today 7:00 AM
- Can ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’ recover from its disastrous drama? Today 6:00 AM
- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
The internet wants 2017 to be the year of sex and weed, but it doesn’t add up
This fake calculator meme makes 2017 seem cooler than it really is.
After 2016, a tumultuous year many people couldn’t wait to be rid of, it’s a huge relief to know that 2017 is going to be amazing, numerologically speaking. This calculator screenshot that’s making the rounds shows that if you add 420 (the weed number) three times, and 69 (the sex number) three times, you get 2017.
It seems plausible if you don’t think about it too hard, but the math here is way wrong. The year of triple marijuana and triple intercourse would have been 1467, not 2017.
It was a good ruse, though, and it’s turned 2017 calculations into a minor meme. On reddit’s me_irl just before the New Year, everyone was making fun of the fake math joke by trying to correct the photoshopped equation:
Okay, so this math checks out, but it doesn’t make 2017 interesting.
Fortunately, we don’t have to wait that long for a legitimate year of 420 + 69 action. The year 2025—which is four 420s and five 69s—is just around the corner. Rejoice! It’s less than 10 years until we’re finally, mathematically allowed to get high and engage in mutual oral sex.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.