- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager 2 Years Ago
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Today 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Today 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Today 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Today 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Today 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Today 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Today 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Today 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Today 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Today 11:04 AM
- Senator proposes Do Not Track bill to allow consumers to opt out of data gathering Today 10:54 AM
- The Queen of the North likes to Juul Today 10:36 AM
- Nearly half of Juul’s Twitter followers can’t legally buy the product, study says Today 10:26 AM
The internet wants 2017 to be the year of sex and weed, but it doesn’t add up
This fake calculator meme makes 2017 seem cooler than it really is.
After 2016, a tumultuous year many people couldn’t wait to be rid of, it’s a huge relief to know that 2017 is going to be amazing, numerologically speaking. This calculator screenshot that’s making the rounds shows that if you add 420 (the weed number) three times, and 69 (the sex number) three times, you get 2017.
It seems plausible if you don’t think about it too hard, but the math here is way wrong. The year of triple marijuana and triple intercourse would have been 1467, not 2017.
It was a good ruse, though, and it’s turned 2017 calculations into a minor meme. On reddit’s me_irl just before the New Year, everyone was making fun of the fake math joke by trying to correct the photoshopped equation:
Okay, so this math checks out, but it doesn’t make 2017 interesting.
Fortunately, we don’t have to wait that long for a legitimate year of 420 + 69 action. The year 2025—which is four 420s and five 69s—is just around the corner. Rejoice! It’s less than 10 years until we’re finally, mathematically allowed to get high and engage in mutual oral sex.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.