- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot 8 Years Ago
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Today 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Today 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Today 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Today 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Today 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Today 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Today 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Today 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Today 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Today 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Today 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Today 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Today 1:24 PM
- Trump thinks Google made 16 million people vote for Clinton Today 12:54 PM
The Daily Dot honors No Shave November with a contest
Ready to go from clean-shaven to lumberjack? The Daily Dot is looking for Tumblr users eschewing razors this month.
It’s No Shave November and thousands of people on Tumblr and Twitter are picking up their smartphones and putting down their razors.
The rules, according to the No Shave November website, are simple: Men and women do not “shave their beards or legs (respectively) for the entire month of November.”
The worldwide event is typically done for fun but is closely affiliated with Movember, a charitable campaign that encourages men to grown out their moustaches to “raise vital funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and other cancers that affect men.”
On Twitter, the event has been a worldwide trending topic all day, collecting more than 45,000 mentions from people who were, by turns, disgusted, excited, or confused by the event, according to Topsy, a social-media search engine.
“No shave november? ima have a forest by the time december rolls around,” tweeted @bieberseminem.
On Tumblr, the event was welcomed with open arms and clean cheeks by dozens of male users eager to show off their facial fortitude.
Which is where the Daily Dot comes in.
For the next month, the Daily Dot will be following 47 different Tumblr users partaking in the event. Each Friday we will update our list to see how everyone is doing. On Nov. 30 we will decide who grew the best facial hair according, but not limited, to the following criteria:
- How long your beard is
- How regular your Tumblr updates (with photos) are
- How dramatic your face looks with a beard
(We searched for women flashing their clean-shaven legs, but didn’t find any. If you’d like to be considered for a special ladies’ no-shave prize, tweet your Tumblr address at me.)
Here’s the list of Tumblr blogs we’ll follow. And out of solidarity with our Tumblr breathren, a handful of Dotters will be growing out their facial hair too. Keep an eye out on our official Tumblr blog for updates.
- The angels have the phone box
- Insert cunning title here
- You may say I’m a dreamer, I’m not
- Sync with me
- Push the limits
- The laboratory
- Beefcake Pantyhose
- Doctor Hipster’s Office
- Last chance to back out
- Just a man and his dogs
- Quentin the man
- Don’t Blink(182) Cuz You Might Just Miss It
- El tumblr de Blake
- If life is but a dream, what shall we wake up to?
- Get Bofucked
- Hi, It’s Jared
- Like the thing Batman drives now
- Anunt Singh
- Alone for now
- Hail to the king, baby
- Don’t look back
- Are you master of your domain?
- Saint and Sinner
- No shave November
- Gone With The Wind
- What’s up Nathan
- Sandi Seal Says
- What could ever stop us?
- My favorite words
- The New Kid on The Block
- Death League
- The beard adventures
- Mark just owned your face
- Pop Scenesters
- Benjamin Undirected
- Carlos Monroy
- Lights out Poughkeepsie
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.