- ‘Waves’ wrestles with the family drama and breaks it in half 5 Years Ago
- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
Our favorite One Direction fan reactions to Louis and Zayn’s Twitter fight
‘IT’S FINALS WEEK, I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THIS S**T.’
It was the subtweet war heard around the world—and we’ve got the distraught Directioner reactions to prove it.
Say it ain’t so! How did we come to this?
Earlier today former One Direction heartthrob Zayn Malik dropped jaws instantly when he dished out this stunningly pissy tweet to his former bandmate, Louis Tomlinson:
Woah. The tweet was ostensibly an overreaction to what seemed like an equally passive-aggressive tweet from Tomlinson about a bad filter on a photo that Malik’s friend, British producer Naughty Boy, shared earlier today.
Remember when you were 12 and you used to think those Mac filters for your pictures were cool haha ! Some people still do HA!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) May 6, 2015
However, the 1D experts at Sugarscape speculated that it’s likely Naughty Boy’s dig, “Replace this,” was in reference to a recent Instagram by fellow band member Liam Payne, a lighthearted reference to finding a new fifth member:
But today’s explosive tweet from Malik has been building for a long time, mainly because Tomlinson and Naughty Boy have been at odds over Malik ever since he left the band in March. (And yes, we know it must be angst central for all you Zouis shippers out there!) It turns out that Louis’s tweet was just one of a whole series of tweets that took place between them both earlier today—tweets that had some fans accusing Naughty Boy of hacking Malik’s account and posting for him.
Most Directioners were deeply upset at Malik. Apparently, leaving the band has won him no love with his once-loyal fans.
Basically all of it’s a messy mess and they grown men and shouldn’t be fighting over the Internet period it’s sloppy and now I’m sad there are no winners there is no sides we all dyin out here MAY 6 FOREVER IN OUR MEMORIES — tylerobrosey
Everyone was hyping up that Mayweather fight but this Zaughty vs Louis was the real fight right here. – b-almighty
Still, we don’t think Zayn should be blamed for causing drama—especially since he probably wanted to leave behind the endless drama of life as a One Direction star. Instead, he seems to have been embroiled in more now than he was when he was actually a member of the band.
It seemed that Directioners weren’t interested in stirring the flames, though. A recurring theme among the fans was “heartbreak”—and fear that the drama would mess with finals week.
Don’t get sidetracked, Directioners! Even if Zayn and Louis are fighting, we’re pretty sure these two friends wouldn’t want their spat to impact your exams.
Photo via Wikimedia Commons (CC BY SA 3.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.