- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Today 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Today 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Today 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Today 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Today 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Today 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Today 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Today 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Today 10:36 AM
- Antonio Brown sent ‘intimidating’ texts to an accuser, including a pic of her children Today 9:38 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Today 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
Based on a long-running series of French comics, Valerian is a sci-fi epic from director Luc Besson. Cara Delevingne and Dane DeHaan star as a pair of space/time agents with a mission to (you guessed it) save the universe. And judging by the new trailer, it’s going to be a psychedelic extravaganza of weird aliens and space battles.
This trailer is an explosion of colorful visual effects, as you’d hope from the filmmaker who brought us The Fifth Element. If you recognize some hints of Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy, there’s a good reason for that. The Valerian and Laureline comics were a big influence on Star Wars, and by extension, most sci-fi movies of the past 40 years.
And yes, that is Rihanna playing a shapeshifting alien near the end of the trailer.
Valerian is out on July 21.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor