- Pornhub sued by deaf man who wants closed captioning in videos Thursday 7:52 PM
- 70,000 Tinder photos of women are being circulated in cybercrime forum Thursday 7:26 PM
- YouTuber faces backlash for using paper towels to soak up an entire swimming pool Thursday 6:54 PM
- Trump’s latest impeachment tweet inspires perfect meme Thursday 6:07 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ fans dredge up new cast member’s racist tweets Thursday 4:53 PM
- This Bernie Sanders subreddit just banned all content from CNN Thursday 3:52 PM
- Deepfake app turns you into your favorite GIFs Thursday 3:43 PM
- GOP senator calls CNN reporter ‘liberal hack’ Thursday 2:20 PM
- Queer developer blasts Steam over ‘backwards’ adult filter review Thursday 2:20 PM
- Woman blasts Stephen Colbert for not paying when she was an intern Thursday 1:05 PM
- Everyone’s seen the ‘Mayo Pete’ memes except Pete Buttigieg Thursday 1:05 PM
- How to watch ‘Diary of a Future President’ Thursday 1:01 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 3 on hold indefinitely Thursday 12:07 PM
- Teen’s TikTok sends powerful message about domestic violence Thursday 11:22 AM
- ‘OK boomer’ meme makes it to the Supreme Court Thursday 11:02 AM
The Martian, a new movie about a manned mission to Mars that does not go as planned, is virtually guaranteed to be a hit among science-fiction fans. It’s based on a bestselling novel by Andy Weir, and it stars Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Rooney Mara, and Sebastian Stan. Oh, and it’s directed by Ridley Scott.
To promote the movie, the producers released this teaser, filmed in the style of a NASA vlog, with astronaut/botanist Mark Watney (Damon) giving us a tour of the ship and introducing the crew.
The presence of Matt Damon and Jessica Chastain in a near-future setting immediately brings to mind Interstellar, but this movie seems to have a more darkly humorous tone.
Screengrab via ARES:live/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor