- How to stream Artem Lobov vs. Jason Knight in BKFC Today 9:00 AM
- Lizzo sued by Postmates runner she accused of stealing her food Today 8:39 AM
- How to stream Jan Blachowicz vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza on UFC Fight Night Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch Georgia vs. Auburn live Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream Navy vs. Notre Dame live Today 3:30 AM
- The actor who played Greedo is just as confused by ‘maclunkey’ as you are Friday 4:57 PM
- AirPods are getting that sweet, sweet Black Friday price drop Friday 4:24 PM
- Looking for a Nintendo Switch? Black Friday deals are here Friday 4:04 PM
- Facebook copies Instagram with experimental ‘Popular Photos’ feature Friday 3:58 PM
- This iPhone app says it will alert you if you’ve been hacked Friday 2:43 PM
- ‘Marvel’s Hero Project’ is the wholesome content 2019 needs Friday 2:40 PM
- Get more out of VSCO with VSCO search Friday 2:09 PM
- Twitter carves out ‘cause-based’ advocacy exemption in political ads ban Friday 2:06 PM
- Disney+ accounts are being hacked—here’s how to protect yourself Friday 1:52 PM
- Instagram is hiding likes globally and searching for a ‘well-being’ product researcher Friday 1:42 PM
The book, which is currently referred to as Untitled Panem Novel, will take place 64 years before The Hunger Games, and according to a press release from Scholastic, will “revisit the world of Panem on the morning of the reaping of the Tenth Hunger Games.”
“With this book, I wanted to explore the state of nature, who we are, and what we perceive is required for our survival,” Collins said in a statement. “The reconstruction period ten years after the war, commonly referred to as the Dark Days—as the country of Panem struggles back to its feet—provides fertile ground for characters to grapple with these questions and thereby define their views of humanity.”
Although The Hunger Games trilogy takes place in a dystopian future in what used to be North America, little is actually known about the history of Panem and the Hunger Games. We have the basics: every year, the names of 24 children between the ages of 12 and 18—a boy and girl from each of the 12 Districts—are chosen at random. They’re brought to the Capitol, paraded around, and forced to kill one another until one child, who is deemed the Victor, remains. But other questions, such as what exactly led to its creation, how it evolved over the years or how the totalitarian government of Panem shaped its own history, especially if what might have happened played out much differently. Collins is able to explore all of this without being pigeonholed by something she already wrote in the trilogy.
By setting the prequel back several decades and during the Tenth Hunger Games, it also can eliminate the crutch of focusing on the perspective of an older character when they were much younger. The oldest Victor we’ve met in the Hunger Games trilogy, Mags Flanagan, competed in the Eleventh Hunger Games (the first after the one at the center of Untitled Panem Novel)—at least according to the films. But it’s certainly possible we might see relatives of characters we already know.
Untitled Panem Novel will be released May 19, 2020.
- ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ doesn’t offer much relief in season 3
- Love ‘The Hunger Games’ movies? Here’s what to watch next
- 7 ways ‘The Hunger Games’ changed our world
H/T Associated Press
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.