- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil 5 Years Ago
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
Wonder no more at the voice you heard in the ‘Star Wars’ teaser
Surprisingly enough, it’s not Benedict Cumberbatch.
The teaser for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has now been analyzed to within an inch of its life, but in the end we were left with more questions than answers. For one thing, who spoke the very brief dialogue in the trailer?
Although no one speaks onscreen, the trailer includes an ominous voice-over saying, “There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The darkness… and the light.”
Since the movies is literally titled The Force Awakens, it’s easy enough to guess what this mysterious character is talking about. But his identity was much more mysterious, as was the identity of the actor playing him.
Many fans theorized that it might be Benedict Cumberbatch, whose dulcet tones have previously graced the trailers for Star Trek Into Darkness and the Hobbit movies, and who is persistently rumored to have a “secret” role in Star Wars. The fact that Cumberbatch has never been confirmed as a cast member did little to discourage these theories, right up until Good Morning America revealed that the voice actually belonged to Andy Serkis.
Serkis was already known to have a role in The Force Awakens, and his part in the trailer suggests that he may be some kind of villain. His tone of voice wasn’t exactly warm or friendly, and it’s easy to imagine that “darkness” line being spoken by a Sith Lord.
With Serkis best known for motion-capture performances such as Gollum in Lord of the Rings, many people already assume that he’ll be playing a non-human (perhaps even non-bipedal) character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens as well. However, speculation is all we have to go on for the moment. The movie doesn’t open until Dec. 18, 2015.
Photo via YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor