- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
Wonder no more at the voice you heard in the ‘Star Wars’ teaser
Surprisingly enough, it’s not Benedict Cumberbatch.
The teaser for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has now been analyzed to within an inch of its life, but in the end we were left with more questions than answers. For one thing, who spoke the very brief dialogue in the trailer?
Although no one speaks onscreen, the trailer includes an ominous voice-over saying, “There has been an awakening. Have you felt it? The darkness… and the light.”
Since the movies is literally titled The Force Awakens, it’s easy enough to guess what this mysterious character is talking about. But his identity was much more mysterious, as was the identity of the actor playing him.
Many fans theorized that it might be Benedict Cumberbatch, whose dulcet tones have previously graced the trailers for Star Trek Into Darkness and the Hobbit movies, and who is persistently rumored to have a “secret” role in Star Wars. The fact that Cumberbatch has never been confirmed as a cast member did little to discourage these theories, right up until Good Morning America revealed that the voice actually belonged to Andy Serkis.
Serkis was already known to have a role in The Force Awakens, and his part in the trailer suggests that he may be some kind of villain. His tone of voice wasn’t exactly warm or friendly, and it’s easy to imagine that “darkness” line being spoken by a Sith Lord.
With Serkis best known for motion-capture performances such as Gollum in Lord of the Rings, many people already assume that he’ll be playing a non-human (perhaps even non-bipedal) character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens as well. However, speculation is all we have to go on for the moment. The movie doesn’t open until Dec. 18, 2015.
Photo via YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor