- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
This is Leia’s first appearance in the canon animated series.
In the upcoming episode, the rebels will meet Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, who travels to the main characters’ base of operations to “bring ships for the rebel fleet.”
Star Wars Rebels, now in its second season on Disney XD, follows the adventures of a small band of heroes as they link up with the nascent rebellion against the Galactic Empire.
At this point in the timeline—five years before the events of 1977’s A New Hope—Leia still represents Alderaan in the Imperial Senate, but she and her father covertly support the rebel movement by using their diplomatic activities as cover to move ships and material to the rebels.
“We thought we had an opportunity to show her learning to be a leader, experimenting with the personality that becomes the stronger, more resolute character you see in A New Hope,” executive producer Dave Filoni told TV Insider. “One of the complex challenges of depicting Leia in Rebels is that we have to remind the audience that at this point she is part of the Empire. She doesn’t believe in the Empire, but she is acting the part, almost [as] a double agent.”
The Jan. 20 episode, “A Princess in Lothal,” will mark Leia’s only appearance in Star Wars Rebels season 2. She will be voiced by Julie Dolan, who played her in a recent video game.
H/T TV Insider | Photo via Lucasfilm
Eric Geller is a politics reporter who focuses on cybersecurity, surveillance, encryption, and privacy. A former staff writer at the Daily Dot, Geller joined Politico in June 2016, where he's focused on policymaking at the White House, the Justice Department, the State Department, and the Commerce Department.