- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Friday 8:34 AM
‘Star Wars’ star John Boyega praises female Finn cosplayer: ‘I’m in love’
The Force is strong with this one.
Boyega retweeted Krissy Victory’s photo of her outfit and added, “I’m in love.”
Krissy Victory first became interested in cosplay after a friend convinced her to dress up with her at a local anime convention, and she’s been hooked ever since. Her costumes cover a multitude of fandoms, from Catwoman and Wonder Woman to Pocahontas, Bioshock Infinite, and Pokémon.
She’s a lifelong Star Wars fan who started with the prequels and re-watches the movies every May the Fourth with her brother, and she’s even cosplayed as Slave Leia in the past. But she found a new source of inspiration in Finn after The Force Awakens, and he quickly became one of her new favorite characters, alongside Anakin Skywalker.
“When I saw Force Awakens I fell into inspiration and admiration, the new characters were so amazing!” she told the Daily Dot in an email. “Finn grabbed my interest the most, he’s so funny, quirky, and I was hooked every time Finn hit the screens.”
Victory was instantly hooked by Finn’s story and the possibilities of where it could lead in Episode VIII, and she soon began putting together a Finn’ costume. She found a similar jacket and lightsaber fairly quickly, and in the span of two weeks she came up with the rest of the outfit.
She decided to keep her hair the way it was and not change it, because her “vision of Finn would be similar to how I look.” She kept the hair and makeup light, wanting it to “feel more real.”
On Friday, she shared a photo of her Finn cosplay with her followers, which shows her getting ready to strike.
Less than 20 minutes after she tweeted, John Boyega issued his retweet.Victory, who has notifications set for whenever Boyega tweets, initially thought that it was spam. She couldn’t believe it, but then she saw that the tweet was real, and soon her notifications blew up as more people discovered and retweeted her photo.
“To have such an inspiration one of my acting icons and favorite character in Star Wars acknowledge my presence—I couldn’t be any more honored,” Victory said. “I am a young dreamer like he mentioned at the BAFTAS. This felt like an award towards me personally, and I feel deeply honored.”
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.