- iPhone overloaded? Here’s how to cancel app subscriptions Monday 11:02 PM
- Fan-created ‘app’ lets users experience the final moments of the ill-fated Jeremy Renner app Monday 10:00 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos receives lifetime ban from furry convention Monday 7:49 PM
- Snapchat just made all political ads purchased publicly available Monday 6:12 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Borussia Dortmund in Champions League action Monday 5:39 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Napoli in Champions League action Monday 5:19 PM
- How to make real money with Amazon’s Mechanical Turk Monday 5:03 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Valencia in the Champions League group stage Monday 4:47 PM
- ‘SNL’ fires Shane Gillis for racist, homophobic comments Monday 4:41 PM
- Ben Shapiro wants accusers to describe Brett Kavanaugh’s penis Monday 4:30 PM
- Twitch suspends streamer for wearing Chun-Li cosplay Monday 4:11 PM
- Report: 8 years of Trump tax returns subpoenaed by prosecutors Monday 3:45 PM
- Netflix lands exclusive streaming rights to ‘Seinfeld’ Monday 3:34 PM
- Jenny Slate sets first comedy special at Netflix Monday 3:05 PM
- #EndSmearFear is aiming to save lives Monday 2:54 PM
Scarlett Johansson is back for ‘Captain America: Civil War’ after all
Iron Man, Captain America, Winter Soldier, Falcon, and now Black Widow. How big is this movie!?
Civil War directors Joe and Anthony Russo have confirmed that Johansson will be returning to play Black Widow for the fifth time. The third (and potentially final, although who are we kidding) Captain America movie comes out in 2016, about a year after Avengers: Age of Ultron.
There was a brief period when fans thought Johansson might have been removed from the movie to make way for the Captain America vs. Iron Man storyline of Civil War, so this news resulted in a minor freakout from Marvel fandom Twitter. Basically, if we can’t have a solo Widow movie, then this is the next best thing.
“Black Widow Confirmed For Captain America: Civil War” ALL I EVER DO IS WIN
— samantha andico (@whaleesi) January 15, 2015
Glad to hear that Black Widow is confirmed for Captain America: Civil War. Can never have enough Scarlett Johansson.
— Lee (@Lee_JM75) January 15, 2015
Johansson joins an increasingly impressive cast that so far includes Captain America, Falcon, Iron Man, Crossbones, the Winter Soldier, a mystery villain played by Daniel Brühl, and the first appearance of Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther. At this point it’s not so much “Captain America 3” as “Avengers 2.5.” (Also, here’s hoping Black Widow is joined by some other female characters soon. Jeez.)
Fans of Captain America: The Winter Soldier will also be happy to know that the writers and directors of that movie are also working on Civil War. But right now we’re mostly excited about seeing more of Black Widow.
Photo via Marvel.com/Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor