- The best app controlled Christmas lights for the holidays 5 Years Ago
- Go green and save green with solar-powered Christmas lights 5 Years Ago
- Bloomberg on diversity in 2020 race: ‘Don’t complain to me’ 5 Years Ago
- Midge flaunts the worst side of herself in ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ season 3 Today 12:17 PM
- Social media companies continue to fail to police fake behavior, study finds Today 10:44 AM
- Despite changes, the YouTube 2019 Rewind video is still massively disliked Today 10:11 AM
- ‘Home for Christmas’ brings a needed sharp edge to Christmas rom-com season Today 10:07 AM
- Joe Biden seemingly called a voter ‘fat’—but his campaign denies it Today 9:30 AM
- The decade in internet scamming Today 9:00 AM
- Bernie Sanders unveils ‘high-speed internet for all’ plan Today 8:59 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
Blizzard to add new World of Warcraft character in honor of Robin Williams
Blizzard listened to its fans and announced that a new character would be added.
Since Robin Williams’ passing on Monday, there has been an outpouring of grief and tributes from around the world for the beloved actor and comic. President Obama said the 63-year-old Oscar winner “ended up touching every element of the human spirit;” comedian Russell Brand lamented that “Williams’ divine madness will no longer disrupt the sadness of the world.”
Williams was famously a fan of the massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), and in response to his apparent suicide, more than 10,000 people signed a petition started by Jacob Holgate from Texas to “create an NPC [non-playable character] within World of Warcraft to memorialize the late Robin Williams”
“Arguably one of, if not the most, funniest man to ever walk the earth, the loss of Mr. Williams is felt worldwide with a collective intake of disbelief and crushing sadness,” the text of the petition reads. “Because of his presence in our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian.”
— Celestalon (@Celestalon) August 12, 2014
Blizzard took note, and responded impressively quickly—less than sixteen hours later game designer Chadd Nervig confirmed that the petitioners’ wishes would be granted.
It’s not yet clear what form Williams’ in-game tribute will take, though Holgate had one suggestion. “Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams’ best jokes within the World’s End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing.”
Rob Price is a technology and politics reporter who served as the U.K.-based morning editor for the Daily Dot until 2014. He now works as the news editor for Business Insider, and his work has appeared in Vice, Slate, the Washington Post, and the Independent.