- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free 3 Years Ago
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
Reebok is rereleasing Ripley’s badass sneakers from ‘Aliens’
The ‘Alien’ franchise is getting its own holiday like May 4th, and it includes the reissue of these classic sneakers.
Despite their status as blatant product placement, Ripley managed to make those Reebok sneakers look memorably badass in the 1986 sci-fi movie. Since then they’ve gained a kind of retrofuturistic cool factor among fans of the Alien franchise, and after years of semi-authentic Reebok revivals, the “real” high-top version is finally going on sale.
To complete that timeless “running for your life from xenomorphs” look, couple your new Reeboks with a stained white T-shirt and a jumpsuit.
Reebok’s Alien Stomper reissue is happening as part of “Alien Day,” an attempt by Fox to cash in on the popularity of geeky holidays like May 4th and Back to the Future Day. We’d be the first to admit that Alien Day is not a real thing, and is clearly just an excuse to sell Alien merchandise. That being said, Ripley’s sneakers look awesome and we still totally want a pair, cynical marketing ploy or no.
Taking place on April 26 (a loose reference to LV-426, the planet from Alien), Alien Day involves a string of Alien/Aliens double bills in Alamo theaters across the country, and the release of an Alien spinoff audio drama voiced by Rutger Hauer.
Yes, Fox and Reebok just tricked a bunch of nerds into paying hundreds of dollars for limited edition 1980s ski boots. But somehow, we just can’t feel mad about it.
Screengrab via Aliens
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor