- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
Reebok is rereleasing Ripley’s badass sneakers from ‘Aliens’
The ‘Alien’ franchise is getting its own holiday like May 4th, and it includes the reissue of these classic sneakers.
Despite their status as blatant product placement, Ripley managed to make those Reebok sneakers look memorably badass in the 1986 sci-fi movie. Since then they’ve gained a kind of retrofuturistic cool factor among fans of the Alien franchise, and after years of semi-authentic Reebok revivals, the “real” high-top version is finally going on sale.
To complete that timeless “running for your life from xenomorphs” look, couple your new Reeboks with a stained white T-shirt and a jumpsuit.
Reebok’s Alien Stomper reissue is happening as part of “Alien Day,” an attempt by Fox to cash in on the popularity of geeky holidays like May 4th and Back to the Future Day. We’d be the first to admit that Alien Day is not a real thing, and is clearly just an excuse to sell Alien merchandise. That being said, Ripley’s sneakers look awesome and we still totally want a pair, cynical marketing ploy or no.
Taking place on April 26 (a loose reference to LV-426, the planet from Alien), Alien Day involves a string of Alien/Aliens double bills in Alamo theaters across the country, and the release of an Alien spinoff audio drama voiced by Rutger Hauer.
Yes, Fox and Reebok just tricked a bunch of nerds into paying hundreds of dollars for limited edition 1980s ski boots. But somehow, we just can’t feel mad about it.
Screengrab via Aliens
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor