- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care 3 Years Ago
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut 3 Years Ago
- This website will show you how AI classifies you 3 Years Ago
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Today 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Today 2:30 PM
- Government sues Edward Snowden for breaking a non-disclosure agreement Today 2:21 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Olympiacos in the Champions League Today 1:56 PM
- ‘Love Island’ star’s Instagram photo doctored for MAGA hat ad Today 1:16 PM
- Los Tigres del Norte carry on Johnny Cash’s legacy in stellar Folsom Prison concert film Today 1:05 PM
- Keke Palmer’s ‘sorry to this man’ meme is perfect Today 12:59 PM
- Hoodies with fake bullet holes from prominent school shootings spark outrage Today 12:44 PM
- Instagram apologizes for censoring pictures of fish Today 12:40 PM
- George R.R. Martin clarifies some things about the ‘Game of Thrones’ Targaryen prequel Today 12:20 PM
- Bill Mitchell, the Trump-loving QAnon scammer, is pushing ammunition for a civil war Today 11:53 AM
- How to stream Tigres vs. Cruz Azul in the Leagues Cup final Today 11:48 AM
Reebok is rereleasing Ripley’s badass sneakers from ‘Aliens’
The ‘Alien’ franchise is getting its own holiday like May 4th, and it includes the reissue of these classic sneakers.
Despite their status as blatant product placement, Ripley managed to make those Reebok sneakers look memorably badass in the 1986 sci-fi movie. Since then they’ve gained a kind of retrofuturistic cool factor among fans of the Alien franchise, and after years of semi-authentic Reebok revivals, the “real” high-top version is finally going on sale.
To complete that timeless “running for your life from xenomorphs” look, couple your new Reeboks with a stained white T-shirt and a jumpsuit.
Reebok’s Alien Stomper reissue is happening as part of “Alien Day,” an attempt by Fox to cash in on the popularity of geeky holidays like May 4th and Back to the Future Day. We’d be the first to admit that Alien Day is not a real thing, and is clearly just an excuse to sell Alien merchandise. That being said, Ripley’s sneakers look awesome and we still totally want a pair, cynical marketing ploy or no.
Taking place on April 26 (a loose reference to LV-426, the planet from Alien), Alien Day involves a string of Alien/Aliens double bills in Alamo theaters across the country, and the release of an Alien spinoff audio drama voiced by Rutger Hauer.
Yes, Fox and Reebok just tricked a bunch of nerds into paying hundreds of dollars for limited edition 1980s ski boots. But somehow, we just can’t feel mad about it.
Screengrab via Aliens
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor