- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Wednesday 12:14 PM
Reebok is rereleasing Ripley’s badass sneakers from ‘Aliens’
The ‘Alien’ franchise is getting its own holiday like May 4th, and it includes the reissue of these classic sneakers.
Despite their status as blatant product placement, Ripley managed to make those Reebok sneakers look memorably badass in the 1986 sci-fi movie. Since then they’ve gained a kind of retrofuturistic cool factor among fans of the Alien franchise, and after years of semi-authentic Reebok revivals, the “real” high-top version is finally going on sale.
To complete that timeless “running for your life from xenomorphs” look, couple your new Reeboks with a stained white T-shirt and a jumpsuit.
Reebok’s Alien Stomper reissue is happening as part of “Alien Day,” an attempt by Fox to cash in on the popularity of geeky holidays like May 4th and Back to the Future Day. We’d be the first to admit that Alien Day is not a real thing, and is clearly just an excuse to sell Alien merchandise. That being said, Ripley’s sneakers look awesome and we still totally want a pair, cynical marketing ploy or no.
Taking place on April 26 (a loose reference to LV-426, the planet from Alien), Alien Day involves a string of Alien/Aliens double bills in Alamo theaters across the country, and the release of an Alien spinoff audio drama voiced by Rutger Hauer.
Yes, Fox and Reebok just tricked a bunch of nerds into paying hundreds of dollars for limited edition 1980s ski boots. But somehow, we just can’t feel mad about it.
Screengrab via Aliens
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor