- Anti-Trump bros Ed and Brian Krassenstein get kicked off Twitter Thursday 8:07 PM
- Amazon is trying to solve pushback on facial recognition software with a web form Thursday 6:56 PM
- T.I. says Nipsey Hussle’s death was ‘like losing Iron Man’ Thursday 6:32 PM
- Facebook banned billions of fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year Thursday 5:49 PM
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast Thursday 5:00 PM
- WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange indicted under Espionage Act Thursday 4:39 PM
- These doctored videos want to make you think Nancy Pelosi is always drunk Thursday 4:02 PM
- A robot could soon be delivering your packages from a self-driving car Thursday 3:29 PM
- Bipartisan anti-robocall bill overwhelmingly passes Senate Thursday 2:40 PM
- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image Thursday 1:57 PM
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy Thursday 1:55 PM
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong Thursday 1:45 PM
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Thursday 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Thursday 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Thursday 11:43 AM
Peter Jackson strongly hints in new Facebook video that he’s directing ‘Doctor Who’
So, can we confirm that Peter Jackson is directing an episode of ‘Doctor Who’? Or is this an elaborate joke?
For more than a year now, Doctor Who fans have been speculating that Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson will direct an episode. The idea seemed almost too good to be true, but a new video from Jackson’s Facebook page suggests that it’s finally happening.
The clip shows Jackson hanging out at home, polishing his Oscar statuettes while his daughter checks his email. Apparently, he’s been ignoring a lot of emails from Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat.
“Put it this way,” says Jackson. “I reply to the ones I can understand. Some are a bit incoherent. You know, like his scripts. I mean, there’s great ones, and there’s ones that are… not great.” It all seems to be shaping up into an unexpected geek-culture feud between Jackson and Moffat—until the Doctor himself appears in the room.
So, now that Peter Capaldi has handed Jackson a contract to direct an episode of Doctor Who, can we confirm this rumor to be true? Or is the skit just an elaborate joke? After all, Jackson never actually signed on the dotted line.
Screengrab via Peter Jackson/Facebook
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor