- A TikTok of a girl getting an abortion is going viral—and the internet is divided Friday 3:06 PM
- FCC proposes $200 million fine for T-Mobile, others over data sharing Friday 3:03 PM
- Which ‘Love is Blind’ couples are still together? Friday 2:01 PM
- Review: ‘The Invisible Man’ reboot is thrilling but basic Friday 1:25 PM
- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak Friday 1:21 PM
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts Friday 1:07 PM
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Friday 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Friday 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Friday 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Friday 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Friday 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Friday 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Friday 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Friday 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Friday 9:19 AM
Long-haul trucking meets anime fandom in the heartwarming Otaku Trucker
His is the truck that will PIERCE THE HIGHWAY!
It’s all too easy to make fun of anime fans, but every now and then an affectionate parody of weeaboo culture comes along that you just can’t help but enjoy. Such is our fondness for Otaku Trucker, a new animated short from Dorkly that’s less wandering samurai and more wandering semi. He’s riding on 20 tons of Ghost in the Shell body pillows and he and his Totoro cab ornament are going to pierce the highways! What’s not to love?
The sheer number of anime and fandom references the Dorkly team managed to cram in here is impressive—as are the actual truckers and anime fans who turned up in response to magically transform for us. As Facebook user Dante Forsythe (alias Hanzel Kurei) noted, “Finally a video for us Otaku Truckers.”
The best part of all is that we can easily see a real potential in a crime-fighting superhero who fights evil while driving a lot and obsessing over anime. Think Yowamushi Pedal meets Initial D meets, uh, Semi Champloo.
Make it happen, Japan.
Screengrab via Dorkly/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.