- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
The Internet voted on NASA’s new spacesuit, and it went full ‘Tron’
NASA has chosen the spacesuit of the future. And it looks kind of like a cross between Buzz Lightyear and Tron.
Following a public vote from over 230,000 people, NASA has chosen the spacesuit of the future. And it looks kind of like a cross between Buzz Lightyear and one of the costumes from Tron.
— Circa (@Circa) April 30, 2014
The prototype Z-2 suit had already been designed, but the choice between various “cover layers” was left up to an online poll. The winning design, called “Technology,” which received over 60 percent of the overall vote, features a domed helmet and glowing, Tron-like design on the chest. The other two available designs were “Biomimicry” (inspired by “the world’s toughest creatures”) and “Trends in Society,” which was meant to reflect what everyday clothes might look like in the future.
As the new suit is still in its prototype phase, it won’t be making a trip into space for the foreseeable future. Instead, it will spend some time being tested here on Earth, to make sure it’s ready for use in a vacuum and at extreme temperatures.
The cool thing about the Z-2 spacesuit is that it’s part of NASA’s work to get human beings on Mars. The Z-series suits are being developed to be more and more appropriate for use in the Martian landscape, and this new prototype is just the latest step on the journey to exploring another planet in person.
Illustration via NASA
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.