- ‘Watchmen’ delivers a surprisingly conventional superhero finale Sunday 10:11 PM
- Facebook ads are spreading misinformation about HIV Sunday 10:11 PM
- Military investigates students’ suspected white power hand signs at football game Sunday 9:41 PM
- North Carolina man allegedly stole $88K then posted it on Instagram Sunday 8:34 PM
- People are pissed a CGI influencer said she was sexually assaulted Sunday 4:56 PM
- BTS’ RM says he’s lost 33 AirPods Sunday 3:59 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘hyper-realistic’ cat cake is scaring fans Sunday 3:03 PM
- Nick Cannon is reportedly playing his Eminem diss track on repeat Sunday 1:20 PM
- College quarterback blasted by ex-girlfriend in savage AF breakup TikTok Sunday 12:27 PM
- Hallmark pulls ad featuring lesbian couple after conservative protest Sunday 11:27 AM
- Actress’ tweet calling out fellow passenger for not moving seats backfires Sunday 10:43 AM
- The 10 most influential hashtags of the decade Sunday 6:30 AM
- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
Like many tabloids, the British Metro has a missed connections column. And as one Tumblr user noticed on Feb. 23, a sneaky Sherlock fan is using that column to publish an under-the-radar romance between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. It begins with this entry:
“To the man in the long coat with dark hair and amazing cheekbones getting off at Baker Street at 6am on Tuesday. Coffee?”
Now, this missed connection is generic enough that it could easily go unnoticed by anyone who doesn’t have Sherlock on their minds. But to a fan, it’s pretty clear that the “sandy-haired bloke” is Watson and the man with the amazing cheekbones is the great detective himself. The fact that this all took place on Baker Street seals the deal.
Whoever wrote this little story was evidently determined to get a happy ending, because a few days later this reply was spotted in the same paper:
“Sandy-haired Guy Who Couldn’t Stop Staring, you seem surprisingly not as dull as everyone else. Meet me at Bart’s Hospital—I take my coffee black, with two sugars.”
Yep, “Amazing Cheekbones” is Sherlock all right. St. Bart’s Hospital is where John and Sherlock meet in the first episode of the show, so these missed connections are giving their origin story a romantic rewrite.
We’re hoping for more updates in the next few days, especially since other Sherlock fans have now come across the messages online. This could go on for quite a while, providing the person in charge of the missed connections page doesn’t catch on.
Photo via Saschaporsche/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 3.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor