- Twitter hosts China-backed ads maligning Hong Kong protesters 4 Years Ago
- Jason Momoa says the ‘Justice League’ Snyder cut is ‘ssssiiicccckkkkkk’ 4 Years Ago
- Kevin Smith announces a He-Man reboot for Netflix 4 Years Ago
- Kellyanne Conway brushes off recession fears, calls it ‘Sesame Street word of the day’ Today 11:05 AM
- Conservatives are livid the New York Times is writing articles about slavery Today 10:52 AM
- Iceland holds funeral for first glacier to melt Today 10:44 AM
- Nonprofit fanfiction database Archive of Our Own wins a Hugo Today 9:59 AM
- Dan Carlin’s ‘War Remains’ is a stunning VR pop-up Today 9:27 AM
- Your wireless data is probably being throttled, study finds Today 9:25 AM
- Mike Judge’s dystopian comedy ‘Idiocracy’ is now streaming on Netflix Today 8:00 AM
- The 2020 Democratic presidential candidates as La Croix flavors Today 7:00 AM
- Crowdsourcing mental healthcare with 7 Cups Today 7:00 AM
- How to unlock hidden filters and effects for Instagram Stories Today 6:00 AM
- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
Like many tabloids, the British Metro has a missed connections column. And as one Tumblr user noticed on Feb. 23, a sneaky Sherlock fan is using that column to publish an under-the-radar romance between Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. It begins with this entry:
“To the man in the long coat with dark hair and amazing cheekbones getting off at Baker Street at 6am on Tuesday. Coffee?”
Now, this missed connection is generic enough that it could easily go unnoticed by anyone who doesn’t have Sherlock on their minds. But to a fan, it’s pretty clear that the “sandy-haired bloke” is Watson and the man with the amazing cheekbones is the great detective himself. The fact that this all took place on Baker Street seals the deal.
Whoever wrote this little story was evidently determined to get a happy ending, because a few days later this reply was spotted in the same paper:
“Sandy-haired Guy Who Couldn’t Stop Staring, you seem surprisingly not as dull as everyone else. Meet me at Bart’s Hospital—I take my coffee black, with two sugars.”
Yep, “Amazing Cheekbones” is Sherlock all right. St. Bart’s Hospital is where John and Sherlock meet in the first episode of the show, so these missed connections are giving their origin story a romantic rewrite.
We’re hoping for more updates in the next few days, especially since other Sherlock fans have now come across the messages online. This could go on for quite a while, providing the person in charge of the missed connections page doesn’t catch on.
Photo via Saschaporsche/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 3.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor