- People are not falling for these ICE ‘propaganda’ photos Today 4:23 PM
- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Today 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Today 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Today 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Today 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
The official Star Wars Twitter account wished a happy birthday to Natalie Portman, who of course portrayed Padmé Amidala, mother to Luke and Leia Skywalker in the prequel trilogy—The Phantom Menace (1999), Attack of the Clones (2002), and Revenge of the Sith (2005).
“Join us in a round of thunderous applause for Natalie Portman on her birthday,” the account tweeted, with a still image of Queen Amidala in her royal garb.
And then, Hamill revealed the following.
FUN FACT: I've never met this woman. https://t.co/YYIFku1CVQ
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 9, 2018
What? Just how … His own movie mom? Never at any panels, or conventions, or anything? Twitter joined in the astonishment at Hamill’s shocking admission.
But she’s your MOTHER!!
— Valter Skarsgård (@ValterSkarsgar) June 9, 2018
“I have no memory of my mother.” pic.twitter.com/shind1OTTb
— Jennifer de Guzman Strikes Again (@Jennifer_deG) June 9, 2018
PROOF: I see through the lies of the Jedi pic.twitter.com/sGMobVNO3c
— French ☮️ George (@FrenchGeorgeKRO) June 9, 2018
Someone else chimed in to remind Hamill that even Carrie Fisher had met Portman, prior to her sad passing.
— Jacob Dominguez (@SonofSunday) June 9, 2018
But director Rian Johnson dropped an even bigger bomb by admitting that Portman had even stopped by the set once while they were filming The Last Jedi—however it was after Hamill had finished shooting his scenes.
She came by set once but I think you had already wrapped – they were shooting Annihilation at Pinewood while we were winding down.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) June 9, 2018
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 10, 2018
Come on Natalie Portman, just meet your son already. And preferably post pictures to social media so that we may all revel in the cuteness of the moment.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.