- Photo of federal workers conjures Great Depression 7 Months Ago
- How to watch Pacquiao vs. Broner online Today 9:00 AM
- What does IMO mean? Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Today 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Today 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Today 4:48 AM
- Netflix says ‘Fortnite’ is more competition than HBO Friday 8:25 PM
- This computer-generated Insta model looks staggeringly real Friday 7:15 PM
- Netflix is bringing back ‘Unsolved Mysteries’ with ‘Stranger Things’ producer Friday 6:42 PM
- Facebook is creating a meme feature to bring back the teens Friday 4:13 PM
- A hitman’s smartwatch helped send him to prison for life Friday 4:05 PM
- Privacy group files complaints against Netlifx, Spotify for GDPR violations Friday 3:02 PM
- Bikini Kill reunion show sale proves the internet is still hell for live music fans Friday 2:55 PM
The official Star Wars Twitter account wished a happy birthday to Natalie Portman, who of course portrayed Padmé Amidala, mother to Luke and Leia Skywalker in the prequel trilogy—The Phantom Menace (1999), Attack of the Clones (2002), and Revenge of the Sith (2005).
“Join us in a round of thunderous applause for Natalie Portman on her birthday,” the account tweeted, with a still image of Queen Amidala in her royal garb.
And then, Hamill revealed the following.
FUN FACT: I've never met this woman. https://t.co/YYIFku1CVQ
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 9, 2018
What? Just how … His own movie mom? Never at any panels, or conventions, or anything? Twitter joined in the astonishment at Hamill’s shocking admission.
But she’s your MOTHER!!
— Valter Skarsgård (@ValterSkarsgar) June 9, 2018
“I have no memory of my mother.” pic.twitter.com/shind1OTTb
— Jennifer de Guzman Strikes Again (@Jennifer_deG) June 9, 2018
PROOF: I see through the lies of the Jedi pic.twitter.com/sGMobVNO3c
— French ☮️ George (@FrenchGeorgeKRO) June 9, 2018
Someone else chimed in to remind Hamill that even Carrie Fisher had met Portman, prior to her sad passing.
— Jacob Dominguez (@SonofSunday) June 9, 2018
But director Rian Johnson dropped an even bigger bomb by admitting that Portman had even stopped by the set once while they were filming The Last Jedi—however it was after Hamill had finished shooting his scenes.
She came by set once but I think you had already wrapped – they were shooting Annihilation at Pinewood while we were winding down.
— Rian Johnson (@rianjohnson) June 9, 2018
— Mark Hamill (@HamillHimself) June 10, 2018
Come on Natalie Portman, just meet your son already. And preferably post pictures to social media so that we may all revel in the cuteness of the moment.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.