- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ 4 Years Ago
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 4 Years Ago
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend 4 Years Ago
- What is the Hinge dating app, and how does it work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Inside Bill’s Brain’ is nothing more than a Bill Gates infomercial Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! He hasn’t texted me back. Should I text him again? Today 6:00 AM
- New Loch Ness monster video may just confirm giant eel theory Wednesday 8:04 PM
- Instagram to restrict posts promoting diet culture and plastic surgery Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Apple wants to trademark ‘Slofie,’ its term for slow-motion selfies Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Fortnite leak reveals a Batman crossover event may be happening Wednesday 5:32 PM
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Wednesday 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Wednesday 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Wednesday 3:19 PM
Director David Ayer unveiled the first Suicide Squad cast photo on Sunday night, showing nine members of the film’s supervillain team Task Force X. It didn’t take long for more detailed photos to start leaking from behind the scenes.
Harley Quinn and the Joker, undoubtedly the best-known characters in the movie, are sporting new looks that are already raising eyebrows among DC Comics fans. Jared Leto‘s Joker looks like a nu-metal singer from the early 2000s, while Margot Robbie‘s Harley Quinn costume veers toward the Sin City end of the comic-book-movie spectrum.
Margot Robbie fan site Margot Source shared a gallery of photos from the film set, showing the actress wearing spike heels, sequinned shorts, and a t-shirt reading “Daddy’s Lil Monster.” The back of her jacket reads “Property of the Joker.”
At the moment, Harley Quinn looks all too similar to the women from Zack Snyder‘s box-office bomb Sucker Punch. Fans are already divided over whether this is an awesome new revamp of a popular character, or whether Robbie simply wound up wearing an eye-candy outfit.
Harley Quinn looks like an undead cheerleader. Theres such a lack of work done to her. It looks like they only had $50 budget for her outfit
— Alexi™ (@AGreenBurrito) May 3, 2015
Harley Quinn’s outfit looks like a girl who decided to be Harley Quinn a day before Halloween and bought every thing at Hot Topic. Not sure.
— jesús. (@jesusacostx) May 3, 2015
it’s been hours and I’m still bothered by Harley Quinn’s outfit basically being a tshirt and underwear
— Kelly (@kelly_streets) May 4, 2015
If nothing else, Harley Quinn’s new look fits with Jared Leto’s Joker, with both sporting tattoos and a punk-influenced aesthetic.
Along with the new Harley Quinn photos, we got a different look at Will Smith as the assassin Deadshot. He was pictured without his mask in the group photo (presumably because he’s the most famous actor in the cast), but David Ayer also posted a photo of the character in his full costume. Note his collar and gun, which read, “I am the Light — The Way.”
Photo via Eva Rinaldi/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor