- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
Get a better look at Margot Robbie’s controversial ‘Suicide Squad’ costume
Set photos from ‘Suicide Squad’ show Margot Robbie as a supervillain in spike heels and sparkly shorts.
Director David Ayer unveiled the first Suicide Squad cast photo on Sunday night, showing nine members of the film’s supervillain team Task Force X. It didn’t take long for more detailed photos to start leaking from behind the scenes.
Harley Quinn and the Joker, undoubtedly the best-known characters in the movie, are sporting new looks that are already raising eyebrows among DC Comics fans. Jared Leto‘s Joker looks like a nu-metal singer from the early 2000s, while Margot Robbie‘s Harley Quinn costume veers toward the Sin City end of the comic-book-movie spectrum.
Margot Robbie fan site Margot Source shared a gallery of photos from the film set, showing the actress wearing spike heels, sequinned shorts, and a t-shirt reading “Daddy’s Lil Monster.” The back of her jacket reads “Property of the Joker.”
At the moment, Harley Quinn looks all too similar to the women from Zack Snyder‘s box-office bomb Sucker Punch. Fans are already divided over whether this is an awesome new revamp of a popular character, or whether Robbie simply wound up wearing an eye-candy outfit.
Harley Quinn looks like an undead cheerleader. Theres such a lack of work done to her. It looks like they only had $50 budget for her outfit
— Alexi™ (@AGreenBurrito) May 3, 2015
Harley Quinn’s outfit looks like a girl who decided to be Harley Quinn a day before Halloween and bought every thing at Hot Topic. Not sure.
— jesús. (@jesusacostx) May 3, 2015
it’s been hours and I’m still bothered by Harley Quinn’s outfit basically being a tshirt and underwear
— Kelly (@kelly_streets) May 4, 2015
If nothing else, Harley Quinn’s new look fits with Jared Leto’s Joker, with both sporting tattoos and a punk-influenced aesthetic.
Along with the new Harley Quinn photos, we got a different look at Will Smith as the assassin Deadshot. He was pictured without his mask in the group photo (presumably because he’s the most famous actor in the cast), but David Ayer also posted a photo of the character in his full costume. Note his collar and gun, which read, “I am the Light — The Way.”
Photo via Eva Rinaldi/Wikimedia (CC BY SA 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor