- How to stream Manchester City vs. Tottenham Hotspur Friday 6:59 PM
- QAnon supporters claim they couldn’t sport Q attire at Trump rally Friday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Southampton vs. Liverpool Friday 4:55 PM
- See when and where your team plays: The 2019 NFL preseason schedule Friday 4:51 PM
- Twitter is testing a feature that would hide offensive DMs you receive Friday 4:19 PM
- How to stream Arsenal vs. Burnley Friday 4:15 PM
- The original ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ is now streaming on Netflix Friday 3:33 PM
- 2 anime series are translating the controversial phrase ‘lolicon’ to ‘pedophile’ Friday 3:25 PM
- This Four Loko hard seltzer is basically a meme in a can Friday 2:40 PM
- Pete Buttigieg says he’s not in favor of the DH in baseball Friday 2:40 PM
- Amazon’s plan to have warehouse workers defend it backfired beautifully (updated) Friday 2:06 PM
- Senator: Zuckerberg’s testimony ‘incomplete’ after Messenger transcription report Friday 1:18 PM
- The 8 best podcast apps you need to download for 2019 Friday 1:04 PM
- Scaramucci: Twitter gave me a temporary suspension for calling Trump fat Friday 12:54 PM
- Hosts of ‘Crime Junkie’ podcast accused of plagiarism, deleting episodes Friday 12:47 PM
Lin Manuel Miranda and Lea Salonga sing ‘A Whole New World,’ move us to tears
The world will never be the same.
Disney fans just got a whole new performance of one of the greatest songs ever written, courtesy of Lin-Manuel Miranda, the genius behind Hamilton, and Lea Salonga, the original singing voice of Jasmine in Aladdin.
If you’re in New York City, you might occasionally feel the urge to line up for hours at #Ham4Ham, the lottery for Hamilton that has become Broadway’s biggest block party. Before many performances, composer and star Miranda invites a glittering rotation of theater celebrities to join him for spontaneous informal concerts outside the Richard Rodgers Theatre.
I almost went on Wednesday, but it was cloudy, and I had work to do. It turns out that I missed an absolutely unforgettable experience for theater lovers and Disney fans alike: the incomparable Lea Salonga, who sang the roles of Jasmine and Mulan for Disney. (The creators of Les Miserables once described her as having “lungs of steel.”)
Salonga joined Miranda for an amazing rendition of “A Whole New World”—and she sounded just as golden as she did in the ’90s. They’re accompanied by Alex Lacamoire, musical director and arranger of Hamilton and Miranda’s Pulitzer-nominated In the Heights, on a melodica, along with a dreamy-sounding crowd.
Seriously, this is what heaven must be like.
There are three lessons here:
- Never miss #Ham4Ham. Ever. Go to every performance, because the moment you stay home, something this sublime will happen.
- Lea Salonga is as fresh-voiced and phenomenal as she was when she first stole our hearts as a child star in the Philippines before growing up and creating the role of Miss Saigon.
- Lin-Manuel Miranda is a gift from the gods. Thank you, Broadway. Thank you.
I don’t know about you, but it’s definitely a whole new world for me.
Correction: Ham4Ham does not precede every showing of Hamilton.
Screengrab via Hamilton/YouTube
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.