- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
Leonard Nimoy’s son launches a Kickstarter for the Spock documentary
The documentary will explore the lives of both Leonard Nimoy and his iconic Star Trek character, Spock.
In March, Leonard Nimoy’s son Adam announced that he would be moving forward with creating a documentary titled For the Love of Spock that he and his father had been working on before the Star Trek actor passed away. Now Nimoy has launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise the funds necessary to make the film a reality.
The crowdfunding campaign launched on Wednesday and aiming to raise $600,000 for the film. The Nimoys had originally wanted to create a documentary in tribute to the half-human, half-Vulcan in time for the 50th anniversary of The Original Series. With Nimoy’s passing, the documentary will now also celebrate the life and career of the actor behind Spock. This has made the project more personal for his son.
“Although I had initially intended to take a somewhat detached, objective view of the subject matter, more and more people involved in this film have urged me to interject some of my own perspective on what it was like growing up with Mr. Spock in the house, and how Dad’s new-found celebrity and meteoric career affected my life,” he writes on Kickstarter.
Nimoy has an experienced team set to work on the documentary including producer David Zappone of 455 Films and actor Zachary Quinto, who portrays Spock in the reboot films, as narrator. According to the Kickstarter page, funding will let the team continue production, license clips and photos, and more.
Backers will have the opportunity to receive a number of interesting rewards depending on how much they pledge to the campaign, from an Enterprise travel log PDF bundle of Spock collectibles to tickets to film screenings in Los Angeles and New York.
As of Thursday the Kickstarter had already raised more than $84,100 with 27 days left in the campaign.
Photo via For the Love of Spock/Facebook
Lisa Granshaw reports on pop culture and geek fashion and is the founder of GeekFold. You can find her work on Syfy, Boing Boing, and Geek and Sundry.