- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Wednesday 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Wednesday 11:18 AM
Whedon will write the next arc of the Buffy sequel comics, still going strong after four “seasons.” The comics continued the show’s story with Season 8 in 2007, written by Whedon and other Buffy alumni like Jane Espensen and Drew Goddard. Whedon left the series in 2011 to direct The Avengers, and it kept on without him. Season 11 arrived in 2016 and 2017, and Whedon will rejoin the comic for season 12.
One of season 12’s promo images shows Buffy holding a baby. Could it be hers, or is she just babysitting for Xander and Dawn, who are now officially a couple?
The upcoming story is co-written by Whedon and Christos Gage (another longtime Buffy writer), with artist Georges Jeanty. The familiar Scooby Gang cast are still in action, joined by non-TV characters like the distant-future slayer Melaka Fray. The latest villain is a vampire named Harth, another time-traveling character from the future.
Titled The Reckoning, this storyline will tie into the Angel & Faith comics, with roles for Angel, Faith, Illyria, and the villainous law firm Wolfram and Hart. Published by Dark Horse Comics, season 12 begins in June. It will be the last season, allowing Whedon to wrap up the story a full 26 years after the original movie came out.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.