- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
Longtime Doctor Who actress Jenna Coleman will leave the show after season 9 for a more regal role, U.K. newspapers are reporting.
Coleman first appeared as the Doctor’s latest companion Clara Oswald in season 7, continuing on after Matt Smith left the show and Peter Capaldi arrived as the Twelfth Doctor. She originally planned to leave after season 8 but decided to stay on to resolve the relationship between Clara and the Doctor.
With season 9 due to premiere this weekend, the Mirror and the Telegraph are now reporting that Coleman is leaving to star in a high-profile TV drama about Queen Victoria. While the news hasn’t been officially confirmed by the Doctor Who team, an article on the BBC website says that “it is understood that Coleman has already filmed her final scenes for Doctor Who.”
In a recent interview, Coleman hinted at the cyclical nature of the show’s cast, saying, “You’re in Doctor Who knowing it will never last. It’s constantly regenerating, so you want to make your time count and enjoy the adventure for the fleeting time you’re here.”
We could very well be seeing a new companion join the cast as early as this year’s Christmas special.
Update 6:45am CT, Sept. 18: Coleman has confirmed this news.
Photo via vagueonthehow/Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 2.0)
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor