- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 5 Years Ago
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
- New restaurant in New York has a seriously unfortunate name: ‘Qanoon’ Saturday 1:38 PM
- These are the 10 best ‘Star Wars’ ships Saturday 12:41 PM
- Google Maps helped solve a decades-old missing persons case Saturday 12:27 PM
- Teen who plotted deadly swatting prank over Call of Duty argument gets prison time Saturday 11:58 AM
- RIP to the real star of ‘Stranger Things’: Steve Harrington’s mullet Saturday 11:04 AM
- People are sharing their wholesome stories with #Hey19YearOldMe Saturday 9:20 AM
- Review: The Joule is a pricey, sleek, easy-to-use entry into sous vide Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Rams in NFL Week 2 action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Redskins in Week 2 action Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Seahawks in Week 2 NFL action Saturday 7:30 AM
Dominic Cooper is back for Howard Stark role in ‘Agent Carter’
Fans are excited for more from Tony Stark’s dad.
Cooper’s involvement was one of the big question marks hanging over this show, because Howard Stark is such a major link between Peggy Carter’s 1940s storyline and the present-day Marvel Cinematic Universe. Rumors of his return began to heat up again when James D’arcy was cast as Stark butler Jarvis, the original inspiration for Tony Stark’s artificial intelligence J.A.R.V.I.S.
Howard Stark’s most significant role so far was in Captain America: The First Avenger, where he was instrumental in transforming Steve Rogers from asthmatic weakling to iconic supersoldier. Agent Carter will focus on Peggy Carter’s life after WWII, having to balance a frustrating administrative job while moonlighting for Howard Stark. We will almost certainly see the two characters sow the early seeds of what will eventually turn into S.H.I.E.L.D., one of the lynchpins of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
It’s not exactly shocking to hear that Howard Stark will be back, but fans are freaking out anyway. Marvel has been holding back on this announcement for a surprisingly long time.
My friends and I are all geeking over Howard Stark, I love us.
— Chelsea St. Juniors (@IfIWereMagneto) September 30, 2014
— §äbrinä ❁ (@WitchBarbie) September 30, 2014
YAS! GIMME THAT HOWARD STARK #AgentCarter
— Jazmine St Cocaine (@youthinkmemad) September 30, 2014
The return of Howard Stark is exciting news for anyone who is invested in the complex nature of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although it would be nice to hear about some more female characters in Agent Carter. The showrunners confirmed at San Diego Comic-Con that the series would feature female characters “both good and bad,” but so far it just looks like Hayley Atwell in the lead role plus five dudes.
Still, the first episode won’t air until early 2015, so there’s plenty of time for more announcements before then. A real coup would be a cameo from Natalie Dormer, who had a minor role in Captain America: The First Avenger—although sadly she’s kind of busy starring in Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, and an ever-increasing number of other projects.
Photo via Marvel Wikia
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor