- Thread about ‘depression meals’ is inspiring lots of relatable answers 5 Years Ago
- How long is ‘Avengers: Infinity War’? 5 Years Ago
- Rand Paul ripped for halting 9/11 Victim Fund re-authorization bill 5 Years Ago
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in August 2019 Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ creators drop out of Comic-Con at last minute Today 6:38 AM
- Inside Britt McHenry’s war on women Today 6:30 AM
- The glorious highs and unexpected quirks of 4K streaming Today 6:00 AM
- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
Dominic Cooper is back for Howard Stark role in ‘Agent Carter’
Fans are excited for more from Tony Stark’s dad.
Cooper’s involvement was one of the big question marks hanging over this show, because Howard Stark is such a major link between Peggy Carter’s 1940s storyline and the present-day Marvel Cinematic Universe. Rumors of his return began to heat up again when James D’arcy was cast as Stark butler Jarvis, the original inspiration for Tony Stark’s artificial intelligence J.A.R.V.I.S.
Howard Stark’s most significant role so far was in Captain America: The First Avenger, where he was instrumental in transforming Steve Rogers from asthmatic weakling to iconic supersoldier. Agent Carter will focus on Peggy Carter’s life after WWII, having to balance a frustrating administrative job while moonlighting for Howard Stark. We will almost certainly see the two characters sow the early seeds of what will eventually turn into S.H.I.E.L.D., one of the lynchpins of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
It’s not exactly shocking to hear that Howard Stark will be back, but fans are freaking out anyway. Marvel has been holding back on this announcement for a surprisingly long time.
My friends and I are all geeking over Howard Stark, I love us.
— Chelsea St. Juniors (@IfIWereMagneto) September 30, 2014
— §äbrinä ❁ (@WitchBarbie) September 30, 2014
YAS! GIMME THAT HOWARD STARK #AgentCarter
— Jazmine St Cocaine (@youthinkmemad) September 30, 2014
The return of Howard Stark is exciting news for anyone who is invested in the complex nature of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, although it would be nice to hear about some more female characters in Agent Carter. The showrunners confirmed at San Diego Comic-Con that the series would feature female characters “both good and bad,” but so far it just looks like Hayley Atwell in the lead role plus five dudes.
Still, the first episode won’t air until early 2015, so there’s plenty of time for more announcements before then. A real coup would be a cameo from Natalie Dormer, who had a minor role in Captain America: The First Avenger—although sadly she’s kind of busy starring in Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, and an ever-increasing number of other projects.
Photo via Marvel Wikia
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor