- T-Mobile, Verizon admit most Americans won’t see fast 5G 3 Years Ago
- PlayStation Vue is offering a sweet streaming deal for a limited time 3 Years Ago
- Twitter reportedly worried banning white nationalists would also flag some Republicans 3 Years Ago
- Lawyer of cop in viral assault case calls the crime a ‘Facebook misdemeanor’ Today 12:33 PM
- Biden’s ‘all men’-focused announcement gets roasted Today 11:49 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for free Today 10:44 AM
- Report: Facebook is punishing Black people for talking about racism (updated) Today 10:15 AM
- Biden brings tepid language to the healthcare debate Today 9:52 AM
- TikTok’s ‘chin on palm’ challenge has people scratching their heads Today 9:01 AM
- How to stream the 2019 NFL Draft for free Today 9:00 AM
- How to watch every movie in the MCU before ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Today 8:00 AM
- Review: The apocalypse has never been more aimless than in Days Gone Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Boston bomber voting’ discourse is America at its dumbest Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Top Gear’ for free Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Getafe online for free Today 6:00 AM
Harley Quinn was the most-Googled Halloween costume in 2015
She was even more popular than ‘Star Wars.’
Google’s Frightgeist page tracked which costumes people were Googling across the U.S., and Harley Quinn was more popular than generic searches like “Star Wars,” “superhero,” and “pirate.” When it came to specific costumes, significantly more people went for Harley Quinn than for better-known characters like Batman, Wonder Woman, or Elsa from Frozen.
There’s no denying that Harley Quinn is an ideal Halloween costume choice. She’s creepy, recognizable, and easy to replicate using clothes and makeup you probably already have at home. Also, you’ve got a built-in couples costume with the Joker.
This influx of Harley Quinn costumes is a reminder of something we kind of already knew: Suicide Squad is ridiculously popular. Despite starring a cast of (mostly) C-listers like Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang alongside Harley and the Joker, it’s one of the most anticipated superhero movies on the market.
You’d think comic book fans would be more excited for Batman v Superman, but more people have watched the trailer for Suicide Squad—a film that won’t even come out until August 2016. Up until this year, Harley Quinn was a second-tier DC villain mostly known for her role in video games and Batman: The Animated Series. Now, she’s apparently mainstream enough to be one of the most popular Halloween costumes in America.
Start planning your 2016 Suicide Squad group costumes now.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.