- ‘Weathering With You’ blends fantasy and realism in a magical love story Saturday 6:18 PM
- Kidnapped teen used Snapchat to get rescued Saturday 4:35 PM
- What fans do and don’t want to see in future ‘Far Cry’ installments Saturday 4:26 PM
- Aaron Carter accused of stealing lion art for merch Saturday 3:10 PM
- Instagram’s hidden like counts were inspired by a ‘Black Mirror’ episode Saturday 2:06 PM
- Student says they were expelled for tricking teacher into making inappropriate TikTok Saturday 12:26 PM
- Space Force uniforms relentlessly mocked, memed Saturday 10:52 AM
- Man flamed after admitting he called police on Target employee over a toothbrush Saturday 9:10 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Vivir Dos Veces’ searches for a last chance at first love Saturday 8:00 AM
- Camila Cabello must do more about her racist history Saturday 6:00 AM
- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
Google’s Frightgeist page tracked which costumes people were Googling across the U.S., and Harley Quinn was more popular than generic searches like “Star Wars,” “superhero,” and “pirate.” When it came to specific costumes, significantly more people went for Harley Quinn than for better-known characters like Batman, Wonder Woman, or Elsa from Frozen.
There’s no denying that Harley Quinn is an ideal Halloween costume choice. She’s creepy, recognizable, and easy to replicate using clothes and makeup you probably already have at home. Also, you’ve got a built-in couples costume with the Joker.
This influx of Harley Quinn costumes is a reminder of something we kind of already knew: Suicide Squad is ridiculously popular. Despite starring a cast of (mostly) C-listers like Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang alongside Harley and the Joker, it’s one of the most anticipated superhero movies on the market.
You’d think comic book fans would be more excited for Batman v Superman, but more people have watched the trailer for Suicide Squad—a film that won’t even come out until August 2016. Up until this year, Harley Quinn was a second-tier DC villain mostly known for her role in video games and Batman: The Animated Series. Now, she’s apparently mainstream enough to be one of the most popular Halloween costumes in America.
Start planning your 2016 Suicide Squad group costumes now.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor