- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX 4 Years Ago
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
Harley Quinn was the most-Googled Halloween costume in 2015
She was even more popular than ‘Star Wars.’
Google’s Frightgeist page tracked which costumes people were Googling across the U.S., and Harley Quinn was more popular than generic searches like “Star Wars,” “superhero,” and “pirate.” When it came to specific costumes, significantly more people went for Harley Quinn than for better-known characters like Batman, Wonder Woman, or Elsa from Frozen.
There’s no denying that Harley Quinn is an ideal Halloween costume choice. She’s creepy, recognizable, and easy to replicate using clothes and makeup you probably already have at home. Also, you’ve got a built-in couples costume with the Joker.
This influx of Harley Quinn costumes is a reminder of something we kind of already knew: Suicide Squad is ridiculously popular. Despite starring a cast of (mostly) C-listers like Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang alongside Harley and the Joker, it’s one of the most anticipated superhero movies on the market.
You’d think comic book fans would be more excited for Batman v Superman, but more people have watched the trailer for Suicide Squad—a film that won’t even come out until August 2016. Up until this year, Harley Quinn was a second-tier DC villain mostly known for her role in video games and Batman: The Animated Series. Now, she’s apparently mainstream enough to be one of the most popular Halloween costumes in America.
Start planning your 2016 Suicide Squad group costumes now.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor