- Kyrsten Sinema may face a censure vote—and net neutrality is a big reason why 4 Years Ago
- Recreate a Hogwarts holiday with the LEGO ‘Harry Potter’ Advent calendar Today 8:27 AM
- How to stream Titans vs. Jaguars on Thursday Night Football Today 8:26 AM
- 24 Halloween costumes so weird all you can do is laugh Today 8:13 AM
- Night Monkey finally gets the trailer he deserves Today 8:04 AM
- All the TV series and films coming to AppleTV+ Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘American Horror Story: 1984’ Today 7:00 AM
- What’s new in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Carole and Tuesday’ is a feast for the eyes, ears, and heart Today 6:30 AM
- Tara Booth’s Instagram art embraces the comedy in mental health struggles Today 6:00 AM
- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
Google’s Frightgeist page tracked which costumes people were Googling across the U.S., and Harley Quinn was more popular than generic searches like “Star Wars,” “superhero,” and “pirate.” When it came to specific costumes, significantly more people went for Harley Quinn than for better-known characters like Batman, Wonder Woman, or Elsa from Frozen.
There’s no denying that Harley Quinn is an ideal Halloween costume choice. She’s creepy, recognizable, and easy to replicate using clothes and makeup you probably already have at home. Also, you’ve got a built-in couples costume with the Joker.
This influx of Harley Quinn costumes is a reminder of something we kind of already knew: Suicide Squad is ridiculously popular. Despite starring a cast of (mostly) C-listers like Killer Croc and Captain Boomerang alongside Harley and the Joker, it’s one of the most anticipated superhero movies on the market.
You’d think comic book fans would be more excited for Batman v Superman, but more people have watched the trailer for Suicide Squad—a film that won’t even come out until August 2016. Up until this year, Harley Quinn was a second-tier DC villain mostly known for her role in video games and Batman: The Animated Series. Now, she’s apparently mainstream enough to be one of the most popular Halloween costumes in America.
Start planning your 2016 Suicide Squad group costumes now.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor