- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
‘Hamilton’ closes out season with amazing genderbent pre-show performance
Fanartists are already capturing the moment.
Starting Tuesday, the famed Hamilton ticket lottery pre-show #Ham4Ham will be moving indoors. The day-of lottery itself will be transferring to digital for the winter, while creator Lin-Manuel Miranda has promised to take the #Ham4Ham performances backstage as the crew regroups and gears up for their spring shows-before-the-show.
Miranda also hinted that the #Ham4Ham pre-shows would also be a part of the show’s highly anticipated upcoming Chicago production. The New York lottery should return to the street once more in the spring. In the meantime, New Yorkers can battle to enter the online lottery daily, starting Tuesday at 9:30am.
In true Hamilton form, the popular #Ham4Ham pre-show didn’t go quietly into the winter night. On Sunday, the Hamilton ensemble cast gave fans assembled for the lottery what was arguably the biggest pre-show ever: a genderswapped performance of the showstopping number “My Shot” featuring members of the female ensemble playing the main roles of their male counterparts.
The backstage rehearsal was just as exciting:
Fans were so excited by this ebullient performance that #Ham4Ham has been a Tumblr trend throughout the day:
The joyous number has spawned an outpouring of genderbent and girl-centric fanart from Hamilton fans on Tumblr and Twitter.
Morgan Marcell, an ensemble understudy who rapped the part of Alexander Hamilton during the number, made her own special impact on fans:
While it may be a few months before we see the cast on the curb of 46th Street again, at least we can rest assured that the Hamilton fandom will continue to bring the show to the Internet.
Illustration by macaroon22/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.