- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
There’s an ice storm coming to Fortnite, and it’s taken the guise of an ice sphere floating in the air above Polar Peak.
Epic Games has kept mum about what this might mean for players and what it spells for the future of the game, but Fortnite fans aren’t ready to call it quits. Instead, they’re working to sleuth it out.
On Tuesday, Epic debuted Fortnite v7.20, which meant dataminers immediately went on the prowl. The official patch notes say nothing of an ice sphere or any sort of winter event, but the information that eagle-eyed fans were able to uncover has a veritable flurry of sneak peeks at what could be coming.
If Epic Games works hard, fans work harder. There are new bits of information about what the upcoming limited time mode (LTM) called Ice Storm might include buried within the game’s code, such as a series of special Ice Storm challenges that could very well pop up in-game soon.
Ice Storm Challenges COMPLETE!
— FortniteES (@FortniteGameLAT) January 15, 2019
There are a set of images that appear to refer to ice storms within the leaked files, such as a “No Signal” image and “Weather Warning” adorned with snowflakes.
And then, there’s also the possibility of Ice Legion enemies as well as a dangerous Ice King meant to do some serious damage on the battlefield.
The Ice King has been heavily featured on the Week 7 and Week 8 loading screens, and fans are under the impression that the Ice Sphere is going to break open, revealing something waiting inside.
Polar Peak sphere will break: pic.twitter.com/eStEQNjM65
— Lucas7yoshi_ // Fortnite News & Leaks (@lucas7yoshi_) January 15, 2019
That “something” appears to potentially be the Ice King. Fortnite sleuths took their detective work even further by implementing a spectrometer into the mix. It turns out, if you explore the Ice Sphere over Polar Peak while using a spectrometer, you can just make out the shape of an Ice King within. The plot thickens, then—and there’s still no official word, but it certainly looks like the Fortnite community has got it all figured out.
If you put the sounds that the ice sphere above Polar Peak is making into a spectrometer, you get the Ice King.
— Fortnite News – fnbr.news (@FortniteBR) January 15, 2019
As far as when we can expect all these things to drop, that’s anyone’s guess. We’ll be waiting for Epic Games to make the official announcement. Until then, stay frosty – and keep your eyes on the game’s social media accounts. It could happen at any moment, as is usually the Fortnite way.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.