- Invader Zim is still delightfully weird in ‘Enter the Florpus’ 2 Years Ago
- ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ is getting a totally unnecessary re-release 2 Years Ago
- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
What should have been a happy week for video game publisher Electronic Arts quickly turned sour when EA Access and Origin Access members got their hands on a 10-hour preview of the upcoming Star Wars Battlefront 2. One of the biggest game releases of the year, Battlefront 2 has a huge fanbase online. But when word got out that it would take roughly 40 hours to unlock heroes like Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the game’s online mode, fans got angry.
Eventually, EA caved and lowered the cost of heroes by 75 percent. Unlocking the top heroes—Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader—now costs 15,000 credits each instead of 60,000, which should reduce the time required to get them to about 10 hours of online play. Battlefront 2 does offer other ways to earn credits, like playing through the single-player campaign and cashing in duplicate items you find in loot crates.
In a blog post, the game’s executive producer wrote, “Based on what we’ve seen in the trial, this amount will make earning these heroes an achievement, but one that will be accessible for all players.”
To begin mending the relationship with fans, top members of the development team plan to host an AMA (“Ask Me Anything”) Wednesday on Reddit. It will be interesting to see how that goes because when the controversy was in full swing, some EA employees allegedly received death threats.
Star Wars Battlefront 2 will release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on Friday, November 17.