- The eyes have it in these ‘Alita: Battle Angel’ memes 4 Years Ago
- Facebook let advertisers target users interested in infamous Nazis Today 1:58 PM
- Dem senator promises to put net neutrality on the ‘political hot seat’ in coming months Today 1:28 PM
- Someone figured out that Toothless from ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ looks just like Bulbasaur Today 12:44 PM
- Disturbing Snapchat video shows 17-year-old throwing dog on trampoline Today 12:16 PM
- How to watch the new Bon Appetit channel for free Today 12:03 PM
- Eminem disses Netflix for canceling ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:50 AM
- Florida prisons sued for depriving inmates of music they paid for Today 11:36 AM
- Chris Hemsworth will become Hulk Hogan for Netflix biopic Today 11:29 AM
- Fortnite just introduced a K-Pop skin, and here’s how to unlock it Today 11:06 AM
- The YouTuber who exposed the site’s ‘softcore pedophile ring’ is under attack Today 10:39 AM
- Trump randomly calls for companies to ‘step up’ their 5G efforts in U.S. Today 10:28 AM
- Professional media person: Poor people have money but they just waste it on ‘benders’ Today 10:22 AM
- Netflix acquires highest-grossing blockbuster of 2019 (so far) Today 9:29 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez blasts media over home reports after Coast Guard member’s hit list revealed Today 8:52 AM
‘Community’ recreated the elevator scene from ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’
They thought he’d be an easy target.
While we’ve been freaking out about Game of Thrones and Mad Men, Community has quietly airing its sixth season on Yahoo, and its most recent episode demonstrated that its homage and parody game is still top-notch.
The episode “Modern Espionage” finds everyone in a secret game of paintball that once again sets the entire school up against one another. While it’s the fourth time it’s used the “paintball game goes horrifically awry” plot, Community managed to still make it feel fresh with a callback to one of the more iconic scenes from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
This time around, Dean Craig Pelton—who’s been shot at dozens of times but never got to play himself—is the Captain America bait to five Greendale janitors who see him as an easy target to gang up on. There’s no shield in sight, but the Dean manages alright, even if it’s more of an accident than anything else. Of course “Daybreak” is playing in the background.
Not only is it a callback, but it’s an homage to two Community alum: The Russo brothers, who’ve directed dozens of Community episodes each, helmed The Winter Soldier. Danny Pudi, who plays Abed, also cameos in the film, but we’re not sure whether seeing the film blew his mind.
Screengrab via Yahoo! Screen
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.