- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
- Chuck E. Cheese recycles pizza is the conspiracy theory that won’t die Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs Rams in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:00 AM
- Cómo ver el UFC 241: Daniel Cormier vs. Stipe Miocic Saturday 6:00 AM
Here’s the American geography lesson you never got as a kid
C.G.P. Grey to the rescue!
On the Fourth of July, the U.S. celebrates its independence from Great Britain, but 238 years later, how much do we really know about our country?
Most people will probably know the 50 states and Washington, D.C., and a smaller number would list Puerto Rico and Guam as territories, but very few would be able list some of the uninhabited islands the U.S. controls.
C.G.P. Grey shows which territories fall under U.S. jurisdiction in a new video just in time for Independence Day. Much like his famous video explaining the U.K., he breaks down America’s relationship with even the tiniest territories, despite many of them being inhabited.
Not only are they often left out of the map when discussing the U.S.’s territorial reach, many of their citizens are also unable to vote or be represented in Congress. Fixing that problem is a lot more complicated than it looks.
So happy Independence Day, most of you!
Photo via CGP Grey/YouTube
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.