- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Saturday 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ (updated) Saturday 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Saturday 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Saturday 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Saturday 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Saturday 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Saturday 8:00 AM
Marvel spinoff ‘Agent Carter’ picked up by ABC
Here’s the show ‘Captain America’ fans have been waiting for.
After months of uncertainty, Captain America spinoff show Agent Carter has been picked up for a full series. At the same time, ABC renewed Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which has been receiving increasingly positive reviews as its first season draws to a close.
The series begins in 1946, following the exploits of Peggy Carter (played by English actress Hayley Atwell) as she works for the Strategic Scientific Reserve, a precursor to Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. agency. Dominic Cooper will reprise his role as Tony Stark’s father, Howard.
If Peggy Carter’s 2013 short film is anything to go by then we’ll also see her struggling with 1940s workplace sexism, which is presumably why the show’s press release describes her moonlighting on secret spy missions with Howard Stark. The idea of going back to “administrative work” would not have been a welcome post-war career change for the daring Agent Carter.
— Hayley Atwell (@HayleyAtwell) May 9, 2014
Agent Carter’s pilot episode was penned by Captain America: The Winter Soldier writers Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, but the overall showrunners will be Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas, creators of the CW series Reaper. This indicates that Agent Carter will follow in the footsteps of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which eschewed the sci-fi TV tradition of an all-white, male-dominated writer’s room in favor of an unprecedentedly diverse pool of writers and directors.
The show doesn’t yet have an official air date, but it definitely has a ready-made audience. Captain America fans have been hoping for a Peggy Carter spinoff ever since the first rumors surfaced last year, and the idea of a female-led 1940s spy show is an interesting new expansion past Marvel’s headlining superhero properties.
Photo via becausethatsthething/Tumblr
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor