- Drag queens are calling on DirecTV to keep Viacom channels 4 Years Ago
- Daniel Caesar dons cape for whiteness—and gets canceled Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Triton is a new malware ‘deliberately’ designed to put lives at risk Wednesday 3:23 PM
- ‘Into the Dark: I’m Just F*cking with You’ is one of the series’ best Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Trump’s latest prop, a map of ISIS, gets memed Wednesday 12:54 PM
- HBO sends fans on a global scavenger hunt for 6 Iron Thrones Wednesday 11:51 AM
- The Awkward Family Photos game is Cards Against Humanity for meme lovers Wednesday 11:50 AM
- London firefighters’ organization accuses ‘Peppa Pig’ of sexism Wednesday 11:41 AM
- YouTuber accused of abusing her children to make kid-friendly content Wednesday 11:20 AM
- Ari Fleischer’s Iraq War tweet isn’t going over well Wednesday 10:54 AM
- Cop arrested for recording man’s genitals, forcing mentally ill man to twerk Wednesday 10:37 AM
- MoviePass rebrands its unlimited plan, again Wednesday 10:37 AM
- Former Alaska senator launches meme-filled 2020 primary campaign Wednesday 10:17 AM
- The Shane Dawson cat controversy has resulted in these sex memes Wednesday 10:06 AM
- Sarah Sanders mocks CNN reporter with ‘dear diary’ tweet Wednesday 9:03 AM
Watch this lucky gamer freak out when he unearths a $27,000 Magic card
He must have stored up a lifetime of luck to discover this card.
It’s the Willy Wonka golden ticket of Magic: The Gathering cards, and one man just got a pass to the chocolate factory.
Just watched a 10min unboxing of an alpha MagicTG pack ending with a Black Lotus. Guy’s reaction to seeing the card was adorable. #geeklove
— Ashli (@Mythagon) October 15, 2014
YouTuber “openboosters” unveiled an Alpha Black Lotus during a live stream of opening an Alpha Starter Kit on YouTube. It happens around 8:15 in the video, and his response is, not surprisingly, pretty ecstatic.
The Alpha Black Lotus is one of the rarest cards in Magic: The Gathering. Only about 1,100 of these cards are thought to be in existence. An unplayed one sold for more than $27,000 last year, and the one openboosters discovered is in mint condition. The wrapped-up deck alone was worth more than $6,000.
Here’s a closer look at the Alpha Black Lotus, one day after openboosters uncovered it. It’s one of the earlier cards from MTG, and has been named one of the strongest of the “Power Nine.” So what does it do, exactly? In basic terms, it lets the player “add three mana of any single color to your mana pool.” While that might not sound impressive by itself, players say it’s a card that’s all about combinations.
According to Game & Guide, the card forms part of a combo that allows a player to reduce his or her opponent’s life from the starting of 20 to 0—thus winning the game—on the first turn. That’s why it’s banned in just about every tournament except Vintage formats, which are unsanctioned and boast players with multi-thousand dollar sets.
Even Vintage has limits on what Alpha Black Lotus can do. Each player can only have one in their deck, instead of four.
Live your life like you’re always finding a Black Lotus Magic The Gathering card.
— Kenneth SMOOñoz (@KennethsMunoz) October 15, 2014
Openboosters is currently sending the card to be graded, which means it will get appraised between a score of one to 10 and sealed in a plastic case. That means it can’t be used in sanctioned tournaments, but since the only one that takes the Alpha Black Lotus is unsanctioned, it may not be a big deal.
Best thing I’ve heard all tour: “And then she bought her wedding dress by selling that beta Black Lotus”
— The Doubleclicks (@TheDoubleclicks) September 28, 2014
Screenshot via openboosters/YouTube
Beth Elderkin is a geek culture reporter and the former co-host/producer of Channel Awesome’s ‘Shark Jumping.’In July 2016, Elderkin joined Gizmodo Media Group as a weekend editor and staff writer for io9.