- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans 6 Years Ago
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix 6 Years Ago
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid Friday 10:44 PM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Arsenal Friday 10:28 PM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace Friday 10:05 PM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Norwich City Friday 8:55 PM
- How to stream the 2019-20 Serie A season Friday 8:05 PM
- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
How a parody news site brought Rob Ford and Charlie Sheen together
Sheen made the mistake that many make when reading an article on a website like the Onion: He took it as fact.
Ford has been in the news almost daily since he admitted to smoking crack at the beginning of November. He’s also admitted to purchasing illegal drugs and driving under the influence, denied allegations of infidelity, and apologized for his actions and using crude language. But he’s refused to resign.
The article, published Wednesday in the Daily Currant, said that Sheen, who has had problems with drugs in the past, told a reporter from the Montreal paper La Presse that Ford needed help.
However, Sheen made the mistake that many make when reading an article on a website like the Onion: He took it as fact.
dear Mayor Rob Ford,
the only truth or correct reporting in today’s
repulsive story regarding
my alleged comments about you,
is the accurate spelling of your great city.
your personal life is and never would be,
any of my business.
I’m sorry for any grief this may have caused.
if I can be of any assistance
in any capacity in this
please accept the noble offer of my steady
hand and compassionate heart.
Unlike Sinead O’Connor’s open letters, which were full of tough-love advice, Sheen sounds understanding and sincere. However, some people couldn’t help but see the irony:
When you’re the Mayor of a major city and Charlie Sheen offers you a “steady hand” you may ask yourself if you ought to resign.
— wise_kaplan (@wise_kaplan) November 14, 2013
I was just thinking this whole Rob Ford psycho circus is worse than Charlie Sheen’s meltdown… Then came this gem. pic.twitter.com/AkdB9EMIN0
— David K (@SpacemanSpiffNL) November 14, 2013
Photo via ellasportfolio/Flickr
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.