- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Today 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Today 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Today 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Today 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Today 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Today 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Today 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
How a parody news site brought Rob Ford and Charlie Sheen together
Sheen made the mistake that many make when reading an article on a website like the Onion: He took it as fact.
Ford has been in the news almost daily since he admitted to smoking crack at the beginning of November. He’s also admitted to purchasing illegal drugs and driving under the influence, denied allegations of infidelity, and apologized for his actions and using crude language. But he’s refused to resign.
The article, published Wednesday in the Daily Currant, said that Sheen, who has had problems with drugs in the past, told a reporter from the Montreal paper La Presse that Ford needed help.
However, Sheen made the mistake that many make when reading an article on a website like the Onion: He took it as fact.
dear Mayor Rob Ford,
the only truth or correct reporting in today’s
repulsive story regarding
my alleged comments about you,
is the accurate spelling of your great city.
your personal life is and never would be,
any of my business.
I’m sorry for any grief this may have caused.
if I can be of any assistance
in any capacity in this
please accept the noble offer of my steady
hand and compassionate heart.
Unlike Sinead O’Connor’s open letters, which were full of tough-love advice, Sheen sounds understanding and sincere. However, some people couldn’t help but see the irony:
When you’re the Mayor of a major city and Charlie Sheen offers you a “steady hand” you may ask yourself if you ought to resign.
— wise_kaplan (@wise_kaplan) November 14, 2013
I was just thinking this whole Rob Ford psycho circus is worse than Charlie Sheen’s meltdown… Then came this gem. pic.twitter.com/AkdB9EMIN0
— David K (@SpacemanSpiffNL) November 14, 2013
Photo via ellasportfolio/Flickr
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.