- Forget Hot Jafar. All hail Fat Ursula 5 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘The Affair’ for free 5 Years Ago
- Olivia Wilde’s ‘Booksmart’ is a teen comedy that will actually age well Today 7:45 AM
- Conservative rising star Kyle Kashuv busted using the N-word a whole bunch Today 7:14 AM
- How to watch ‘The Name of the Rose’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- The Anthony Kennedy-Trump money laundering conspiracy is back—and as inaccurate as ever Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the FIFA U-20 World Cup online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
Reddit has dubbed their good samiritan as “There’s Waldo!”
The last time May Goldberg was seen Monday afternoon, she was wearing a jacket, checkered pants, and a black shirt. These were key details, as she had early onset Alzheimer’s and was lost in New York City after wandering from her apartment near Central Park West.
Desperate to track her down, Goldberg’s son contacted police, news station NY1, and the West Side Rag blog. He also reached out to Reddit’s r/NYC community under the name joshgoldberg89, where he shared his mother’s details and the following photos of her:
Photos via joshgoldberg89/Imgur
Within seven hours of making the Reddit post, joshgoldberg89’s mother was found.
“I was walking home from work around 9:30-10 PM and I noticed May at East 47th and Lexington Avenue,” good samaritan and redditor geryorama commented.
As I saw Josh’s post in the afternoon she looked very familiar. I quickly pulled out my phone and visited this page to ensure it is indeed her. When I realized it’s her, I approached her, asked for her name, told her that her family is looking for her, and took her to Hyatt Hotel lobby to contact the police. The gentleman and lady at the Hyatt front desk were extremely helpful and they contacted the police. Two police officers arrived within three minutes. They identified May and I believe they called for an ambulance. In the meantime, I quickly sent a personal message to Josh via Reddit informing him that her mom has been found and that she is with the police.
This isn’t the first time a Reddit community has found a lost loved one. In December, Reddit’s r/dogepictures community helped a Texas woman track down her injured puppy who had ran away while trying to take him to a veterinarian.
Photo by joiseyshowaa/Flickr (CC By SA 2.0)
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.