- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- A GoFundMe for Eric Garner’s killer has raised more than $70,000 Tuesday 12:49 PM
Woman arrested after allegedly marrying ISIS fighter via Skype
It’s apparently not a nice day for a Skype wedding.
A Malaysian student was arrested at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) last month, after authorities discovered she had allegedly married a member of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group via Skype.
The name of the 27-year-old woman, who married the ISIS member about two weeks ago, has not been released, the Straits Times reported.
“We believe that she was first attracted to IS after watching its propaganda video on YouTube in November,” said Malaysia’s inspector general of police, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar, according to the Times. “She then got to know the North African fighter and eventually married him. He managed to persuade her to join him in Syria.” The marriage is believed to have taken place in November.
A 22-year-old man bound for Syria was also detained at KLIA on Dec. 28.
ISIS rose to prominence last year after the group used social media to publicize their beheadings and violence in the Middle East.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.