- ‘The Expanse’ makes a triumphant return with season 4 6 Years Ago
- ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ is a disappointing sequel Today 5:00 AM
- Spanish ‘Big Brother’ contestant forced to watch footage of her own alleged sexual assault Today 12:35 AM
- There’s a lot you can say during sex and also while at Disney World Wednesday 9:34 PM
- Peloton shows 3 positive emails and a Facebook post to prove its ad wasn’t cringe Wednesday 8:23 PM
- Bhad Bhabie accused of cultural appropriation, then criticized Black women with her defense Wednesday 7:23 PM
- Pinterest, the Knot called out for glamorizing plantation weddings (updated) Wednesday 6:55 PM
- Subreddit dedicated to dunking on ‘Game of Thrones’ 2019’s most popular TV subreddit Wednesday 6:25 PM
- Jason Derulo is pissed Instagram deleted his risqué bulge photo Wednesday 5:50 PM
- Instagram taking steps to ensure users are over 13 years old Wednesday 5:16 PM
- ‘Trayvon Hoax’ screening canceled after George Zimmerman files lawsuit Wednesday 5:06 PM
- Mailchimp sued for allegedly facilitating sex trafficking Wednesday 3:51 PM
- Republicans, Dems split over right to sue Facebook Wednesday 3:35 PM
- Pete Davidson’s $1-million standup NDA is his best bit yet Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Sex workers fear a Twitter ‘NSFW ban’ is coming in 2020 Wednesday 1:08 PM
Watch Egyptians’ laser attack on a military helicopter
More than 14 million Egyptians flooded the streets of Cairo this weekend in protest against President Mohamed Morsi.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Tumblr, or elsewhere on the Internet.
These are the largest protests to grip the country since the Arab Spring uprising began in 2011 which removed President Hosni Mubarak from power and ultimately resulted in Morsi, a leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, taking his place.
“The massive protests showed that the ruling Muslim Brotherhood has not only alienated liberals and secularists by seeking to entrench Islamic rule but has also angered millions of ordinary Egyptians with economic mismanagement,” the Telegraph reported.
Late Sunday night, protesters fought back against a military helicopter flying above them using dozens of green laser pointers pointed at it.
“As a helicopter pilot who’s been hit twice with high-powered lights, I can tell you that it seriously could cause a crash,” Reddit user iamkokonutz commented in a post featuring the above image. “It was still light out, around dusk, and I spotted a glint out of the corner of my eye which caused me to look towards it, just as the light focused on the helicopter. I was almost completely blinded. The direct center of my vision was lost.”
Images of the laser attack were all over Twitter, followed by words like “awesome,” “amazing,” and “intense.” Twitter user @kennybaldy tweeted a video of the laser pointers in action which was used to create the following GIF animation.
H/T @kennybaldy | Main image via @YoussefEHanna | GIF by Fernando Alfonso III
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.