- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU 8 Months Ago
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ 8 Months Ago
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online 8 Months Ago
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ 8 Months Ago
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
Twitter blasts Trump after he calls Rex Tillerson ‘dumb as a rock’
President Donald Trump on Friday tweeted with praise for Secretary of State Mike Pompeo—and scathing words for his predecessor, Rex Tillerson.
“Mike Pompeo is doing a great job, I am very proud of him,” Trump wrote. “His predecessor, Rex Tillerson, didn’t have the mental capacity needed. He was dumb as a rock and I couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. He was lazy as hell.”
Trump’s tweet comes the day after Tillerson stated some blunt observations about the president at a fundraising event in Houston, the Hill reports.
“So often, the president would say here’s what I want to do and here’s how I want to do it and I would have to say to him, ‘Mr. President, I understand what you want to do but you can’t do it that way. It violates the law,'” Tillerson said on Thursday.
After Trump’s explosive tweet, many on Twitter pointed out the obvious: It was Trump who hired Tillerson in the first place. He even, as the Hill notes, nominated Tillerson before being sworn in, saying his “broad experience and deep understanding of geopolitics make him an excellent choice for secretary of State.”
Lmao you picked a "dumb as a rock" person as your Secretary of State https://t.co/KY50U8CQGg— Sathiyan (@spicy_sath) December 7, 2018
And you know what they say about throwing stones.
imagine having the guy who just this morning tweeted "bye the way" call you "dumb as a rock" https://t.co/u0tcmhFUii— Paige Lavender (@paigelav) December 7, 2018
(Trump did, in an earlier tweet Friday about Robert Mueller and “Leakin’ Lyin’ James Comey” write “bye the way.”)
But as BuzzFeed News’ national security correspondent Vera Bergengruen pointed out, it’s far from the first time Trump has called someone “dumb as a rock.”
A non-exhaustive list of all the people Donald Trump has called "dumb as a rock" on Twitter pic.twitter.com/DuL7SRZJQY— Vera Bergengruen (@VeraMBergen) December 7, 2018
Trump fired Tillerson in March after months of mounting tension over foreign policy, especially in dealings with North Korea. In October, reports claimed Tillerson called Trump a “fucking moron” in a meeting, which he never outwardly denied.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.