- Obama’s ‘Easter worshippers’ tweet upsets conservatives 2 Years Ago
- Trump responds to impeachment calls: ‘You can’t’ 2 Years Ago
- Desperate YouTuber goes on ‘holy pilgrimage’ to meet PewDiePie 2 Years Ago
- Influencer faces 20 years for hiring cousin to threaten man into giving up domain name 2 Years Ago
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ isn’t actually the end of Marvel’s Phase 3 Today 10:12 AM
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ just obliterated every stupid argument about its place in canon Today 9:24 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ brings us lots of horny Tormund memes Today 8:46 AM
- 12 adult toys sex bloggers swear by Today 8:45 AM
- Howard Schultz mocked for ‘majority of Americans are Americans’ ad Today 8:35 AM
- The ultimate guide to strap-ons Today 8:00 AM
- Why ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’ is my favorite Marvel movie Today 7:59 AM
- The quick and dirty guide to buying your first vibrator Today 7:45 AM
- How to watch ‘Live Rescue’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Roger Stone to speak at Virginia strip club Today 6:56 AM
- Trans/Sex: Solid sex toy picks for pre-op and non-op trans women Today 6:30 AM
Tillerson reportedly called Trump a ‘f**king moron,’ threatened to resign
The report, based on conversations with at least three unnamed senior Trump administration officials, reveals simmering tensions within Trump’s team and attempts by other top officials to maintain the appearance of cohesion in a presidency plagued by high-profile controversies.
Here’s the rundown:
- The name game: Tillerson reportedly called Trump a “moron” (or a “fucking moron,” according to NBC News’ Stephanie Ruhle) after a July 20 meeting at the Pentagon between Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials. This was just days before Trump’s politicized speech to the Boy Scouts of America, an organization Tillerson used to lead, and a day after Trump considered firing the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan and compared “the decision-making process on troop levels to the renovation of a high-end New York restaurant,” as NBC News put it.
- International relations get personal: At the center of the alleged tensions between Tillerson and Trump is the president’s foreign policy stances, including those toward Iran and Qatar.
- Adults in the room: Vice President Mike Pence, unnamed officials said, had to talk Tillerson into remaining in the administration at least through the end of 2017. Gen. John Kelly, now Trump’s chief of staff, and Defense Secretary Gen. James Mattis both urged Tillerson to remain in the administration, NBC News reports.
- Deny, deny, deny: State Department spokesman R.C. Hammond denied the accounts by NBC News sources, saying Tillerson did not call Trump a moron. He also said he was aware of only one private meeting between Tillerson and Pence, during which the pair discussed whether Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was valuable to the administration.
Read the full NBC News report here.
Update 9:51am CT, Oct. 4: Trump appeared to respond to the NBC News report on Wednesday morning, calling the network “fake news” and “even more dishonest than CNN,” which has born the brunt of the president’s anti-media ire.
NBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 4, 2017
Update 10:17am CT, Oct. 4: At a surprise press conference on Wednesday morning, Tillerson denied threatening to resign. “I have never considered leaving this post,” he said. The secretary of state vowed to remain in the post until the president asks him to step down. He did not deny calling Trump a moron. “I’m not going to deal with petty stuff like that,” Tillerson said in response to a reporter’s question about the alleged insult.
Andrew Couts is the former editor of Layer 8, a section dedicated to the intersection of the Internet and the state—and the gaps in between. Prior to the Daily Dot, Couts served as features editor and features writer for Digital Trends, associate editor of TheWeek.com, and associate editor at Maxim magazine. When he’s not working, Couts can be found hiking with his German shepherds or blasting around on motorcycles.