- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Trump writes giant, misspelled ‘THERE WAS NO COLUSION’ reminder on Russia statement
Well, there you have it.
President Donald Trump had the words “THERE WAS NO COLUSION” scrawled in bold, black pen across his typed press conference notes on Tuesday, as he back peddled on remarks made Monday during his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Trump wrote in big black Sharpie on his printed remarks: “THERE WAS NO COLLUSION” pic.twitter.com/5wiG4ukGce— David P Gelles (@gelles) July 17, 2018
The President wrote in sharpie “THERE WAS NO COLUSION” during a meeting with congressional members. pic.twitter.com/dYk88Ot9h8— Tom Brenner (@tom__brenner) July 17, 2018
Misspelling of collusion aside, it’s hardly reassuring that the president needed to remind himself that he did not collude with Russia.
But after the past 24 hours, he’s clearly not taking any chances.
Trump faced a barrage of criticism and incensed his conservative supporters after casually admitting that he believed Putin’s claim that Russia did not interfere in the 2016 election, which contradicts the assessment of the U.S. intelligence community.
Today, he said he accepted that Russia was involved in election meddling.
“In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word ‘would’ instead of ‘wouldn’t,” Trump said today, walking back his words and claiming that the confusion was due to grammatical error.
“The sentence should have been: ‘I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t’ or ‘why it wouldn’t be Russia’. Sort of a double negative.”
In Tuesday’s statement, Trump also said: “I accept our intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place. Could be other people also. A lot of people out there.”
Still, remember, the most important thing is that there was no collusion.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.