- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
- Net neutrality died last year. But the fight’s just begun Friday 1:18 PM
- Kim Kierkegaardashian creator says popular Twitter account ‘speaks to the duality in all of us’ Friday 1:02 PM
- Facebook admits that 6.8 million users’ private photos were exposed Friday 12:55 PM
- YouTube reviewer heads to homeless shelter to critique the food Friday 12:46 PM
- Viral video shows Brooklyn woman’s racist tirade and violent attack Friday 12:38 PM
- 7-year-old migrant girl dies in Border Patrol custody Friday 11:31 AM
- People are losing it after hearing the end of Ariana Grande’s new song ‘Imagine’ Friday 11:28 AM
- Failed Green party candidate was secretly behind this popular QAnon account Friday 11:05 AM
- Dude gets dunked on for claiming Keira Knightley’s ‘six pack’ makes her trans Friday 10:52 AM
- A theoretical tax on Bud Light has infuriated conservatives Friday 10:10 AM
- Tumblr is back on the iOS App Store as NSFW content ban looms Friday 10:10 AM
- Here’s why YouTube deleted 58 million videos and a ton of accounts Friday 9:43 AM
- The 25 worst passwords of 2018 Friday 9:27 AM
Trump writes giant, misspelled ‘THERE WAS NO COLUSION’ reminder on Russia statement
Well, there you have it.
President Donald Trump had the words “THERE WAS NO COLUSION” scrawled in bold, black pen across his typed press conference notes on Tuesday, as he back peddled on remarks made Monday during his summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Trump wrote in big black Sharpie on his printed remarks: “THERE WAS NO COLLUSION” pic.twitter.com/5wiG4ukGce
— David P Gelles (@gelles) July 17, 2018
The President wrote in sharpie “THERE WAS NO COLUSION” during a meeting with congressional members. pic.twitter.com/dYk88Ot9h8
— Tom Brenner (@tom__brenner) July 17, 2018
Misspelling of collusion aside, it’s hardly reassuring that the president needed to remind himself that he did not collude with Russia.
But after the past 24 hours, he’s clearly not taking any chances.
Trump faced a barrage of criticism and incensed his conservative supporters after casually admitting that he believed Putin’s claim that Russia did not interfere in the 2016 election, which contradicts the assessment of the U.S. intelligence community.
Today, he said he accepted that Russia was involved in election meddling.
“In a key sentence in my remarks, I said the word ‘would’ instead of ‘wouldn’t,” Trump said today, walking back his words and claiming that the confusion was due to grammatical error.
“The sentence should have been: ‘I don’t see any reason why I wouldn’t’ or ‘why it wouldn’t be Russia’. Sort of a double negative.”
In Tuesday’s statement, Trump also said: “I accept our intelligence community’s conclusion that Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election took place. Could be other people also. A lot of people out there.”
Still, remember, the most important thing is that there was no collusion.
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.