- These high school theater kids put on a totally awesome ‘Alien’ play Saturday 3:59 PM
- Behold these photos of Elon Musk, but with Elizabeth Holmes’ eyes Saturday 3:11 PM
- Barbra Streisand gets canceled over remarks about Michael Jackson’s alleged victims Saturday 2:09 PM
- Report: Florida man raped Texas teen after posing as Instagram celeb Saturday 12:14 PM
- Lori Loughlin’s daughters, Olivia and Isabella, could be banned from USC forever Saturday 11:46 AM
- ‘Starfish’ is a heartbreaking tale of BFFs, grief, and apocalyptic alien invasions Saturday 10:35 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 148 for free Saturday 10:00 AM
- The kids are making scantron memes instead of studying Saturday 9:29 AM
- Every installment of Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark,’ ranked Saturday 6:00 AM
- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
Michael Vadon/Flickr (CC-BY)
We knew some sort of tweet was coming.
President Donald Trump blasted former FBI Director James Comey on Monday morning, saying that he “committed many crimes” the day after the former FBI director sat down for a wide-ranging interview on ABC.
Trump said Comey “drafted” an “exoneration” of Hillary Clinton regarding the FBI’s investigation into her private email server and accused the former FBI director–and another frequent target of his Andrew McCabe–of committing “many crimes” just hours after Comey’s interview with ABC aired on Sunday night.
“Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!” Trump wrote.
Comey drafted the Crooked Hillary exoneration long before he talked to her (lied in Congress to Senator G), then based his decisions on her poll numbers. Disgruntled, he, McCabe, and the others, committed many crimes!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 16, 2018
The president did not elaborate on which crimes he thinks Comey and McCabe committed, but on Sunday he did list several things he says Comey did that he believed warranted jail time.
Trump’s tweet follows the tactics of Republicans, who launched a “LyingComey” website ahead of his interview that aims to discredit him. On Sunday, the president called Comey “slippery” and said he would “go down as the WORST FBI director in history, by far!”
During the interview Comey said in investigations such as the one into Clinton’s emails, there is typically a “general sense of where it’s likely to end up.”
“But after nine or ten months of investigating, it looked like on the current course and speed, this is going to end without charges,” he told ABC host George Stephanopoulos. “And so what will we do? Smart people, competent people plan ahead. If you’re going to charge, you plan ahead. If you’re not going to charge, you plan ahead.”
Last year, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Comey drafted a statement that exonerated Clinton before the FBI had completed the investigation.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).