- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
It’s another boycott!
De Niro, who said “fuck Trump” while on stage at the Tony Awards on Sunday night, seemed to catch the attention of the president.
On Tuesday evening Trump fired back, calling De Niro a “very low IQ individual” and said the actor was “punch-drunk.” He also gave the renowned actor a new nickname: “Punchy.”
“Robert De Niro, a very Low IQ individual, has received too many shots to the head by real boxers in movies. I watched him last night and truly believe he may be ‘punch-drunk.’ I guess he doesn’t…realize the economy is the best it’s ever been with employment being at an all time high, and many companies pouring back into our country. Wake up Punchy!” the presidnt wrote on Twitter.
Robert De Niro, a very Low IQ individual, has received too many shots to the head by real boxers in movies. I watched him last night and truly believe he may be “punch-drunk.” I guess he doesn’t...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 13, 2018
...realize the economy is the best it’s ever been with employment being at an all time high, and many companies pouring back into our country. Wake up Punchy!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 13, 2018
Supporters of the president soon followed suit, promising to boycott De Niro’s movies and restaurants.
One apparent Trump supporter posted a video on YouTube of throwing a framed picture of the actor that was hanging in his home into a garbage can and smashing it with a hammer.
“This used to be my idol, I used to love this guy–Robert De Niro. But after what he did last night after the Tony’s, this is where Robert goes,” the man says in the video just before he throws a framed picture of the actor into the trash. “You’re a real piece of shit. Another Trump-hater down.”
Other supporters just vented their frustration online.
Thank you De Niro Your speech was so moving then instead of me going to see #ABronxTaleMusical #BoycottDeniro for my birthday I will Spread word-of-mouth to not go put money in your pocket. You should be put in the bathroom I don’t want my eyes seeing any movies of yours— Mike (@MichaelPRush1) June 12, 2018
Robert De Niro says " FUCK TRUMP " .... WELL .... FUCK HOLLYWOOD & all you ELITIST CLUELESS BRATS!! #robertdinero #TonyAwards #Tonys #Tonys2018 #Hollywood I BOYCOTT ... HAVE NOT GONE TO MOVIES FOR 3 YEARS #TrumpKimSummit #MAGA #MAGA2018 #BoycottDeniro #BoycottHollywood pic.twitter.com/oTJJ0UijLz— MIKE DISNEY (@EntDISNEY) June 11, 2018
#BoycottDeniro this piece of trash #elitists scum using his #platform to badmouth #PresidentTrump No one dared do this with #Obama for fear of being called #Racist although #Trump has basically erased his #Legacy from the books! pic.twitter.com/SNxqhtHSb0— Patriot of Truth (@Flipside3366) June 13, 2018
DeNiro showed no class at Tonys with his f*ck Trump quip. Too bad, won't be watching any of his new movies...oh that's right he has none. #boycottDeniro— Glenn Durkee (@DurkeeGlenn) June 11, 2018
This is not the first time the actor has had choice words about Trump. In January, De Niro reportedly called the president a “fucking fool” and “our baby-in-chief” during the National Board of Review Awards.
The boycott against the actor is just the latest conservative-led “boycott” that has sparked up in the wake of Trump’s presidency.
The brands, stores, or companies that have faced the online backlash from conservatives in recent years include: Cheesecake Factory, Target, Starbucks, the NFL, Star Wars, and even Budweiser beer. There are countless more.
Andrew Wyrich is a politics staff writer for the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the internet. Andrew has written for USA Today, NorthJersey.com, and other newspapers and websites. His work has been recognized by the Society of the Silurians, Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE), and the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ).